[Stoves] Aprovecho's ISO certificates

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 19:40:39 CDT 2017

Crispin:

Trustworthiness does not come by claims alone. The force of law - and of
underwriters of liability insurance policies - comes into play in countries
with a reliable judiciary. Here in the US, OSHA, EPA certify, approve, or
recognize UL and other certification bodies for example for commercial
steam cookers
<https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=recognized_bodies_list.show_RCB_search_results>
.

I believe EPA did go to UL for certifying cookstoves. Jim Jetter, John
Mitchell, or Susan Annenberg ought to be able to tell why that didn't work.
>From among any number of reasons, I can imagine liability considerations if
in fact EPA did not have jurisdiction over cookstoves in the US and could
not issue a regulation about it saying UL is an approved lab and can issue
certification under xxx or yyy authority of a statute.

Maybe, after the ISO issues standards of performance from TC-285, US would
incorporate them in law and then approve UL, Aprovecho, or other suitable
body for testing and certification.  Unlike some other countries or some of
the states here, the Federal government can do only so much as authorized
by law, not just do anything it is not explicitly prohibited from doing.

When a product manufacturer's claims fail, the buyer ought to have legal
recourse in addition to merely voting with money. The manufacturer then
cannot hide by merely appealing to UL certification. A court would hold UL
liable if it made a finding that UL used improper protocol - not an
"industry standard" - or wrong equipment.

Then too, a government may not bother with approving or recognizing a
testing, certifying, or labeling organization if its citizens are not at
risk. Free citizenry means able to rely on each other, but also able to go
to a court of equity.

Yes, "Anyone can claim to be following any protocol they like." What do you
think - Gold Standard would be next, or GACC, or me?

UNF could. If it is an "international organization", it may be above US
jurisdiction for certain liabilities. I will have to look up the IO law.

Nikhil