[Stoves] Aprovecho's ISO certificates

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Oct 18 13:41:33 CDT 2017

Dear Nikhil

>Trustworthiness does not come by claims alone.

Fair comment.

>I believe EPA did go to UL for certifying cookstoves.

I was not aware of that.

>Maybe, after the ISO issues standards of performance from TC-285, US would incorporate them in law and then approve UL, Aprovecho, or other suitable body for testing and certification.

ANSI, headed by John Mitchell from EPA, declared at the very beginning that the USA would not be using the product of ISO TC-285, even though they are co-sponsors of its creation. France commenting on the creation of the TC, questioned whether the result would affect existing regulations governing cooking appliances in Europe (which are covered by an omnibus standard for all stoves). That comment was addressed by saying the TC-285 product was for use by developing countries, which excludes France and the USA. I have no idea how the ISO determines which counties are ‘developing’ ones, nor where there should be different ISO standards for developed and developing countries.

>When a product manufacturer's claims fail, the buyer ought to have legal recourse in addition to merely voting with money.

I guess there are two targets for such ire: the vendor making claims that are not valid, and the lab that certified that it has the performance claimed. If a claim is outside the Limit of Quantification of the apparatus, then a priori it is not a valid claim.

>The manufacturer then cannot hide by merely appealing to UL certification. A court would hold UL liable if it made a finding that UL used improper protocol - not an "industry standard" - or wrong equipment.

Well, the relevant way to talk about it is: is someone is using a pre-2016 LEMS and making claims that a stove ‘performs at tier 4’ for some or other measurement, say PM2.5, then someone’s leg is being pulled. It is not ‘wrong equipment’ it is that equipment has limits with respect to detection and quantification, and there are standards ways to rate it. Nothing about this is unusual. That is how equipment ratings are done.

> "Anyone can claim to be following any protocol they like." What do you think - Gold Standard would be next, or GACC, or me?

You are free-with-abandon to invent your own test method and assemble equipment and make claims within the constraints of the equipment and protocol.

>UNF could. If it is an "international organization", it may be above US jurisdiction for certain liabilities. I will have to look up the IO law.

I understand there is a legal USA definition of an IO. Surely there is also an international one?