[Stoves] Aprovecho's ISO certificates

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 21:11:31 CDT 2017

Crispin:

1. You have mentioned this distinction for "developing countries" before. I
imagine the WTO may have such distinction. ISO serves to facilitate trade
and reduce non-tariff barriers such as incompatible national standards. So
EPA may be on solid legal grounds on that issue. The contract between US
and ANSI for TC-285 ought to be in the public domain or available via a
FOIA request. It is illogical that ISO standards may not apply to developed
countries, only that developing countries may be permitted a different
standard because they are more appropriate to use in those countries. Which
gets back to the "contextual" testing, design and promotion. This is
definitely a researchable legal question and we should ask Sally Seitz
about the justification.

2. Going by your assertions only - "outside the Limit of Quantification"
and limits of LEMS to less than Tier 4 - Aprovecho certification of any
test result as Tier 4 for that particular metric (PM2.5?) is hollow. If
anybody has obtained such a certificate from Aprovecho, I would like to see
it.

3. It may well be that PM2.5 Tier 4 Target Emission Rate was SET above LEMS
limit in order to make it an "aspirational" target. (I read this term in a
paper by Annenberg or Rosenthal or on GACC website.) It could be that the
purpose of such an "aspirational" PM2.5 target - lower than the US NSPS for
residential wood heaters - was to permit Kirk Smith to claim that no
biomass stove to date (under WBT, Aprovecho equipment, etc.) was "truly
health protective." EPA is known to drive out fuels and technologies by
regulation. That is one reason for legions of lawsuits about emission
rates. (I was involved in some.)

4. I suspect there is a UN definition of "International Organization".
Sorry, I took a course in IO between MIT and Harvard Law School in 1976 but
am totally rusty on it except nuclear-related stuff. We'll have to ask
Sally Seitz.

Nikhil

PS: Mitchell probably headed the US delegation to TC-285 via ANSI, not
ANSI.