[Stoves] Testing TLUD

Kirk H. gkharris316 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 23 15:27:54 CDT 2017

Andrew,

Thank you for your response.

I have not tried experiments with various moisture content fuel.  I have tried found sticks and it worked like other TLUD-NDs, better with more solid wood and less bark or rot.  After Berkley I left the stove at Aprovecho where Dean and Sam did some experimenting with it.  I know they tried various fuels with good results, but I don’t know if they tried varying the moisture content.  I suspect the stove would lose some performance, much like other TLUDs and wood stoves in general do with water taking up the heat.  Moisture experiments would be very useful.  Thank you for the suggestion.

I may have left a false impression with my former email, that Aprovechos equipment is not that sensitive and Lawrence Berkleys equipment should only be used for a final test.  Both are useful for both purposes.  Berkleys laser based equipment responds faster to changes in the stove than Aprovechos chemical based equipment, and that speed gives better real time feed back on the computer screen.  The filters and weight scales I believe are equivalent.

My understanding is that Aprovecho is not a company, but rather is a nonprofit.

I wish you could play with some emission testing too.  It was very helpful.

Kirk H.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10