[Stoves] Testing TLUD

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 15:46:57 CDT 2017

Trying to return to particulate emissions in  use with non uniform
quality fuels.

On 19 October 2017 at 05:11, Kirk H. <gkharris316 at comcast.net> wrote:
>  Dean Still has
> offered the use of Aprovecho’s lab to others as well as myself.  He tells me
> that I am the only one who ever took him up on it.

It's a shame they are too far from me, I'd like to play with some
emissions testing.

>I spent two weeks at
> Aprovecho in March of 2016, using their equipment to improve the turn-down
> and emissions of my TLUD-ND.  I repeatedly tested iterations under the hood.
> The resultant stove finally worked as desired, being able to burn clean at
> various power levels.  Dean then gave me a test at Lawrence Berkley National
> Labs burn lab which Aprovecho had received in an EPA grant.  The stove
> tested at tier 4 in most catigories.  This would not have been possible
> without Aprovecho.

Did you ever do any tests with fuel at varying moisture contents?

I'd like to see such tests with TLUD  and looking at the yield and
quality of char remaining.

> I noted that Aprovecho’s equipment was not as sensitive as Berkley’s, but it
> was also a fraction of the cost to build.  If used properly there is a place
> for both types of equipment.  Apro’s equipment is excellent for pounding
> away at a problem and cleaning up the stove.  Berkeley’s equipment is great
> for getting final detailed lab test results.  I don’t see one as being good
> and the other bad, but that each has it’s strengths and its place.

Yes perfection being the enemy of good enough.

Andrew