[Stoves] Work for 2018

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Oct 27 15:18:51 CDT 2017

The most promising technologies in the USA are the pellet stoves/furnaces, and the Masonry heaters that are run once or twice a day at full power for a couple of hours. There are extremely clean. I visited a factory I N Caroline that has a very clean burning cordwood stove but I don’t think they are as good as the other technologies.

There is a very clean downdraft stove popular in Germany but it is not so clean at low power. The grate is too big to do that. The BLDD 5 and 6 from the SeTAR Centre in Johannesburg are very clean with both prepared wood and sized coal. It has an unusual vortex-in-a-tube approach to combusting that burns cleanest at the lowest excess air level I have ever seen for small-scale solid fuel: 35%.

Crispin

++++++

Crispin:

I have seen wood chippers and pulverizers in US. I know they take energy (diesel) and capital. But is it possible to a) produce a miniaturized pulverized injection combustion chamber with power controls and/or b) produce a miniaturized heat transfer and storage device?

Of course, the first runs would have to be with commercial cooking. And the heat transfer and storage medium is independent of the fuel for primary heat.

Nikhil in his own technofancies