[Stoves] Delhi clean cooking forum meeting

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 11:49:55 CDT 2017

Dear Mr. Muhmuza:

CO and burns are probably the only instances where fuel combustion "kills".
There are other instances, I guess, of "indoor air pollution" making people
seriously ill after too high a dose, but I suspect they are generally not
from fuel combustion.

Ventilation has traditionally been the answer to CO poisoning, from
whatever source. The lesson for stoves policy is to think not just of
stoves but of kitchens and homes in their entirety and surrounding
environment. It is perfectly ok to "put pollution out". A review of IAP
modeling done for WHO by Dr Michael Johnson frankly admitted that the
knowledge base for ventilation and actual concentrations of all pollutants
was practically empty.

Ideologues of "no ventilation" stove design, "no stacking" indirectly
contribute to real deaths, not just manufactured "premature mortality". If
the two cases you cited had an electric stove or a window, most likely CO
poisoning could have been avoided.

The lords and ladies of Washington and Geneva know nothing about Katwe.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*