[Stoves] News: National Geographic on promotion of gas stoves over improved woodstoves - in Guatemala

Xavier Brandao xav.brandao at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 19:21:14 CDT 2017

Dear Ron,

Thank you for your answer.

First, I wanted to react to your comments in your last email. I agree with you, there are a lot of dedicated and decent professionals who worked hard to make a difference with cookstoves, who used the WBT and thought it was a good protocol.

I am not trying to judge people, or tell where there was crookedness and manipulations.

The WBT was basically the go-to protocol during years, because ... just because. It was there, so it’s only normal people used it and worked with it.

And now that we have some serious scientific proof, deciding to not look at it, deciding to look away, would be something different entirely. Now that we know, there’s no looking away.

So that’s why we need to focus on facts, and discuss this further, and go where discussion has not been yet.

« Your statement that ISO is a black box answers many of the questions below.  It is imperative that you learn how ISO works.  Your best route would seem to be AFNOR - since you are French.  I work only through ANSI - not ISO. »

I fully understood that, as Nikhil said in his last email, the ISO process is an intergovernmental one. There is a frame, and not every individual can join when he/she decides. That is perfectly fine. But I believe ISO committees are made to develop standards, to normalize. Based on scientific evidence that already exists. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe the ISO is meant to be the place where R&D happens. That’s what I was replying to Ranyee: « We should not wait. The R&D and the discussion on development of protocols have to also take place outside of the TC 285. »

Telling me to temper my critiques and join the ISO if I want to discuss and develop protocols is a cop-out.

On the other end, this List is one of the good places to foster R&D.

Now the discussion is becoming interesting. We go nowhere if our discussions are only: « I think the WBT should be discarded! » « No! I think it is valuable! »

We need to discuss why, present scientific arguments and counter-arguments, and make progress together.

« « The WBT IS valuable »

« Can you explain what is valuable about the WBT? »

« I speak selfishly when I note that TLUDs shine at the WBT.  I suspect some don’t like the WBT because their favorite technology doesn’t shine.  By shine and value I mean that the WBT is behind most of the tier rankings - which long ago were accepted unanimously as the right way to proceed with stove improvement at this time.  To me the WBT is all about improvement.  If you can’t measure something, it won’t be improved.  I disagree with those especially who say that there is no proven connection between measured CO and PM values in the lab and in the field.  If not obtained with today’s WBT, what test is to be preferred?  (answer in next question.) »

Then, if I understand well your answers, you say that the WBT is valuable because:

·         the TLUD shine at it

·         it has tier rankings, who are the right way to proceed with stove improvement

What if tier rankings are not scientifically valid?

Lombardi and al. say in their paper of February 2017: « An important consequence of these considerations is that the Tier of Performance of a given stove, assigned based on the results from WBT or similar protocols, may result in a not reliable performance indicator for technology selection. »

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S096195341730065X

« If you can’t measure something, it won’t be improved »

Of course, that’s why we need testing, that’s why we need protocols. There are alternative testing protocols that do measure. They measure more accurately than the WBT does.

« I suspect some don’t like the WBT because their favorite technology doesn’t shine. »

Either you insinuate too much, or you insinuate not enough. Go ahead, let’s speak frankly on all subjects, let’s make some progress.

Who does not like the WBT because their technology doesn’t shine?

What are these technologies, what were the test results?

« The documents I found at your above cite were from the South African SETAR.  I stopped reading when I read this sentence in the last of the four there:  “A cooking session using a

system with a heat flux rate of 2 W/cm 2 will boil 5 liters of water in under 25 minutes.” »

Why not read until the end? It’s not a long document. How can we discuss something if you are not even ready to read fully what is being discussed? No, it is not a boiling test. The water is not boiled, since it has been proved it was rendering the test results false. The water is the medium used to measure heat transferred to the pot.

It is not about performing a cooking task (boiling water), falsely considered universal, and comparing (or being in fact unable to compare) how stoves fare doing that task. It is about understanding the power delivered by the stove.

Please read the February paper from Lombardi and al. which explains well how different the protocols are.

It also tells why the HTP and WHT are vastly superior to the WBT.

The CSI is even better, because of the added element of contextuality.

You listed the experts that are, according to you, currently, as of now September 2017, still advocating continued use of the WBT:

·         Jim Jetter

·         Ranyee Chiang

·         John Mitchell

·         Tami Bond

·         Michael Johnson

·         Kirk Smith

·         Tom Miles

·         Andrew Heggie

·         Dean Still

Ranyee Chiang said we were beyond the WBT.

I have talked with Jim Jetter and he did not come accross to me as, currently, a strong supporter of the WBT anymore.

I talked to Tami Bond, and she said that the WBT had things to be criticized, and that we needed to move forward, and not look backward (the WBT). I don’t think she strongly supports the WBT.

I talked to Kirk Smith in Delhi, and he didn’t seem to have an opinion, neither for nor against the WBT.

Dean Still is strongly supporting the WBT and its use.

So I have a feeling this leaves only a handful of people.

Of course, what we need is for this people to express publicly what they think about the WBT. And better, why.

Can the above-mentioned persons react?

« If it is not yet clear,  I am claiming you are in a small minority of “experts”. »

I am no expert, I never claimed to be. I am not fond of the expression. Who establishes who is an expert? On what basis? Anyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, and can express it, no need to be an expert.

I don’t think I am in a minority, I think your claim is incorrect. It is a claim that has often been made, to try to minimize the fact that there are a lot of people tired of the WBT. Usually, the claim was that Crispin was alone.

Well Crispin is the only one who is outspoken. Not the only one unhappy with the WBT.

>From my exchanges prior and since the advocacy initiative, there is a far larger number of people who are not happy with the WBT than people thinking we should still be using it. Certainly far larger than the list above.

Many people from the stove sector, from various countries and organizations, senior professionals, not new comers, have expressed to me their support to the initiative. I am not sharing their names, since most of these people have not expressed the desire to be quoted publicly. They are busy in day-to-day work, they are involved in partnerships, they are applying to funding. They do not wish to enter a heated and public debate.

« What is so unique about the WBT that cannot be done by the CSI nor HTP?

All “the experts” I trust are advocating continued use of the WBT. »

You are not answering the question. Some « experts » say we should use the WBT. Other people say the contrary, offer alternatives. The « experts » do not look at critiques. They do not look at the alternatives. They keep advocating continued use of the WBT.

This is unscientific. They overlook the critiques, they overlook the alternatives, they keep using a much criticized method while not looking on the sides.

What is so unique about the WBT that cannot be done by the CSI nor HTP?

How you compared the CSI and HTP in your post makes me think actually, all that is done by a WBT can be done by the CSI and HTP.

« My concern was about making char and using the “denominator” equation - which seems to be the main dispute which I have been having for years with Crispin.  And also you?? »

I don’t have an opinion on the denominator equation. I was convinced by Tami and Crispin’s answers previously on the subject.

« [RWL7:  Apologies if I didn’t respond, but I do know that I contacted many of the principal authors (and I think Riva) and think I might have reported.  I am pretty sure that the basic WBT approach was not in doubt with them. »

I don’t remember that you reported on the Stove List that you had contacted the authors. When was it ?

I have to fully disagree here: the WBT protocol is very much in doubt with Riva and Lombardi! It is the whole point of their articles.

These are the issues with the WBT, listed in their February article:

« Some of WBT critical issues remain unsolved. In particular, the main weakness of the WBT concerns its real-life relevance. As a matter of fact, the protocol prescribes to test the stove for a fixed combination of burn sequence (high-power and low-power) and pot dimensions. This limits the test relevance to just that particular setting: when any variation of these parameters e which deeply affect the system performance e is introduced, results may significantly differ. Criticism about WBT concerns also the repeatability of the protocol, with a number of researchers claiming that it would need to be reviewed in terms of accuracy. The WBT is a controlled laboratory test, thus supposed to be characterized by good repeatability and to be effective in comparing different stove designs. Nevertheless, the choice to bring the water to the boil preventing the use of the lid e that is made in order to better approximate a typical cooking task e is not functional to this purpose. As a matter of fact, uncertainties related to temperature reading and vaporisation in the boiling region lead to high variability between test replicates. In order to improve the reliability and replicability of the tests, the latest version of the protocol includes the section “Changes to Testing Conditions to Improve Repeatability”, which refers to different fuels and pot characteristics. However, eventual changes involving other parameters (pot insulation and maximum water temperature), which deeply affect test variability, are not mentioned. Such problems give evidence of an unsolved conflict between the declared purpose of the WBT (viz. to be a design-phase test, not intended to be representative of real-use performance), and a general tendency to use the results form WBT as a significant means to select the most appropriate cooking stove for a given context. A lot of debate has been made around formulation of metrics, primarily on thermal efficiency (Table C3), which is often interpreted as the most immediate and distinctive stove performance parameter. Studies from Bailis et al. highlighted how relying on WBT thermal efficiency outputs, regardless of the relative importance of high and low power cooking tasks among the target population, can lead to misleading interpretations. Furthermore, Zhang et al. and Jetter et al. questioned the scientific meaningfulness of thermal efficiency at simmering. Indeed, this phase is characterised by highly variable steam production, which represents a heat loss in the energy balance but positively contributes to the efficiency value in the actual formulation of thermal efficiency. Finally, some unsolved issues concerning statistical significance of data are worth mentioning. WBT 4.2.3 includes “Statistic Lessons for Performance Testing”. The appendix specifies that the minimum number of test replicates for each model of stove should be three, although it is reported that this number of replicates is not necessarily sufficient to determine a stove performance within a certain confidence interval. Nevertheless, Wang et al. noticed how a great majority of published studies are performed using a number of replicates that is equal or less than three, perhaps due to a misinterpretation of the Appendix message as “only three tests are needed”, regardless of variability and confidence interval. Wang et al. investigated this topic using a simplified version of the WBT 3.0 and demonstrated that more than 5 replicates are likely to be required to avoid impractically large 95% confidence intervals and that even more replicates may be required to demonstrate a statistically significant difference in performance between two or more stoves. »

« do you have an answer to the questions about the rationale of some calculations raised by Zhang et al.?

[RWL:  Give me more to go on. »

There is a lot on that, please read:

·         Key differences of performance test protocols for household biomass cookstoves. Twenty-Second Domestic Use of Energy, IEEE 2014:1–11.
http://energyuse.org.za/document-archive/

To access the file, select DUE [Domestic Use of energy COnference]. Select DUE 2014. Select PROCEEDINGS. Select paper by Zhang etal (PDFs arranged alphabetically).

« [RWL:  Yes I can support the use of just three tests - if they are “relatively” close together in all tier statistics.  If one test if vastly different than the other two, then additional testing should take place.  The main reason for accepting three is trying to keep costs low.  I gather that one can make some useful statistical importance with just two tests. »

Studies have proven you wrong. This is statiscally inaccurate.

In your answers to my 3 questions, you said the uncertainties are acceptable. I felt you said the WBT issues are acceptable.

We are talking about critical issues here, not something that can be brushed off so easily.

« [RWL:  Where do I go read that?  (It is getting too late to find, read, and report back).  This one looks important. »
Please ask Crispin about it. I don’t think it is public.

« [RWL:  Please correct me if wrong, but I don’t believe this test is at all applicable to cook stoves;  it may or may not have some value for cook stoves - but I doubt seriously that this testing involves boiling water. »

I believe it is. See with Crispin.

« I don’t yet see it worth my while to review any of these.  Pleas give a better cite for your top two of the above and I will try to report on its relevance to the issue of retaining the existing WBT. »

I don’t know which one are the top two. They seem all relevant.

So, do you know any reviews about the WBT?

Not ETHOS presentations, actual reviews about the validity of the protocol.

« For time reasons, I have chosen not to read the other two documents at your recommended site. »

We cannot make progress if we don’t look and spend time considering alternative testing protocols.

We certainly shouldn’t be wasting hours discussing: « oh, there are no alternatives and let’s wait for the ISO to develop something, at some point. » when we don’t even want to look at what stands before our eyes.

What I fail to understand is the fact you are, Ron, setting your eyes for the first time on the CSI and HTP protocols, that are alternatives to the WBT.

I have the feeling you are not the only one, I feel some are supporting the WBT, thinking it is the only option we have, that there exist no other alternatives. Yet they have never even read the alternatives. A scientific mind should be curious and ready to challenge their assumptions, all the time. Science is always evolving.

The HTP exists, if I am correct, since 2010.

7 years!

Ron, I hope you will really take the time, to read the protocols and the studies. It is not so long.

It is really important, and you might see some really interesting points being made.

We have to take the time. To take the time to do the right thing, to correct the past mistakes, to move forward, we have to take the time to stop wasting time.

Best,

Xavier