[Stoves] News: National Geographic on promotion of gas stoves over improved woodstoves - in Guatemala

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 04:17:16 CDT 2017

On 2 September 2017 at 01:21, Xavier Brandao <xav.brandao at gmail.com> wrote:

> You listed the experts that are, according to you, currently, as of now
> September 2017, still advocating continued use of the WBT:
>
> ·         Jim Jetter
>
> ·         Ranyee Chiang
>
> ·         John Mitchell
>
> ·         Tami Bond
>
> ·         Michael Johnson
>
> ·         Kirk Smith
>
> ·         Tom Miles
>
> ·         Andrew Heggie
>
> ·         Dean Still

Xavier I don't know if I missed something in earlier posts or the
attribution is mixed up but just to clarify a point:

I have never used the formal WBT or it's associated spreadsheet, I
simply do not have the facilities for proper scientific measurements
nor the expertise to implement them. I did use simple  water boiling
to compare my various TLUD experiments in the early days coupled with
basic before and after weighing on domestic scales for comparisons of
moisture contents and yields of char.

As such I neither approve nor disapprove of the WBT I am simply not
involved enough with testing to make a judgement but appreciate the
many concerns expressed about using it especially about its precision.

I have no concerns either way that it apparently shows TLUD cook
stoves in a favourable light as the co production of char puts these
stoves in a class of their own and it will be users who decide if char
production is worthwhile. Their benefits as cookstoves are mainly to
do with low particulates in the exhaust gases.

Andrew