[Stoves] News: National Geographic on promotion of gas stoves over improved woodstoves - in Guatemala

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 17:13:10 CDT 2017

Crispin:

You say "Everyone could go further, of course, by consistently requiring
that any proposed evaluation method be expertly reviewed to ensure they are
as reasonable as possible. "

I suppose this can be done in "public expenditure" framework - i.e.,
procurement rules of individual government agency or its contractor
(universities, NGOs) bound by government procurement provisions. It is a
matter of "standards of procurement", not just cookstove standards.

All said and done, the race to build savior stoves is the race for grant
monies, public or private. If contracting parties - two governments, or
publicly accountable entities, or any combination thereof - agree that
disbursement of money is contingent on "consistently requiring" expert
validation, and the procurement process be public after the selection of
contractors, then there may be some progress.

Ultimately it is money that matters. Protocols for exchanging monies are at
least as important as protocols for wearing safety glasses. Unless some
private savior comes in.

There is a short-cut, of course - stuffing the decision-making committees
with fellow group-thinkers, the kind who approve your papers for
publication. YOU find it unacceptable that, "What happens instead is that a
method is ‘validated’ by reporting it has been used by others who used it
because some other organisation used it because someone else used it
because it was there."

Yup. The CDM Board and the Gold Standard Foundation seniors need to be
alerted that there are fundamental weaknesses in their procedures which
risk their reputations (if there is any after the monies have exchanged
hands.)

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831