[Stoves] News: National Geographic on promotion of gas stoves over improved woodstoves - in Guatemala

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Sep 5 20:35:14 CDT 2017

Dear Nikhil

As paid up members of Humblers Anonymous we should carry on offering what we can to whoever will accept it. Have you heard of the book from the 1800's "Guidance Unto The ‎Ignorant"? That guy should join our club.

Regarding 'cool inventions': inventors want their creations to be considered as cool as they think they are. Customers often have a different concept of what is cool.

In some markets 'pride of ownership' is about what others think is cool. It rates highly, number 3 or 4, in ranked purchasing decision contributors.

For solid fuels and generating some sort of broad revolution, I hold far more hope for coal burners than wood because in a large fraction of places where coal dominates domestic energy, there is no option, or the option is limited and in the process of being actively conserved. It is far easier to burn coal cleanly than indeterminate wood. Animal dung is quite predictable but requires some basic processing in many cases.

For biomass, processed wood and slash holds promise but the 'exciting' developments are (largely) in the grip of the char-makers with their own agenda to which the users should bend their lives. How often does that work?

If I advised the TLUD promoters I would suggest getting widespread adoption of the devices before trying to hornswaggle funding mechanisms for char buy-back ideas. If gasifiers generate twice the heat of charmakers from a kg of fuel‎, that is serious competition against the alternative.

Solid fuel stoves that cook the fuel are much cleaner, generally, than those which don't. That's a fundamentally different approach and qualifies in my book as a shift as great as introducing kerosene.

Crispin:

In all humility, may I suggest that your answer "Ignorance about how to invent cool stuff and get it adopted" comes across as a bit arrogant?

Under conventional stereotype, where women are the principal home workers and hold exclusive responsibilities and powers over cooking and feeding (if not on purchase of food ingredients), I submit that cooking is about (a) women's time and energy allocation; and (b) the overall human environment, in and around the homes.

There is perhaps not a single "cool" invention in solid fuel cookstoves does not seem to hold much promise for the Third World masses the way it happened with, say, Primus or Nutan stoves using kerosene some 60-80 years ago, or LPG/electric stoves and other thermal appliances over the last 50 years to this date. (There are fancy wood cookstoves in the Western markets as well).

Then again, who knows, wood or pellet stoves with electric assist may change a lot.

I do agree there is a wide chasm between the users and the inventors, and the overall context of fresh and waste biomass with considerable variation in economic geography, that may be said to limit success with solid fuel stoves in the past.

Remember, the current fraction of humanity, the Bottom Half, is more variegated structurally from the upper half than was the case 50 or 100 years ago. And the bottom 20% if much farther apart in assets and income from the top 20% than ever, at least in the last 100 years.

Population and human capital (health, education/skill-base, employment, security) dynamics are far more complicated than the simple mindsets of the 1960s to 1990s suggest (and which is what lies within many of us).

Thank you so much for the pithy "Hence, the current mess."

As GACC slides into the last three years of its plan, it's worth revisiting "the mess". Reformed thinking and institutional apparatus are necessary.

Nikhil