[Stoves] Mongolian Model 4, based on the Kyrgyzstan stove, drawings now available

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Sep 7 06:10:02 CDT 2017

Dear Philip

I received a report from Ulan this morning. They said the average is 0.03%. The heating efficiency is in the high 80's.

Not 30 minutes ago we lit the first MN4.01 made with plastic refractory ceramic plates instead of bricks. It is going very well. The fire was lit, and fuel filled after 12 minutes. It is not 25 minutes from ignition and the CO/(CO+CO2) is 0.055%. The undiluted PM2.5 is 1.34 mg/m^3 (O2=0%).

Full ignition of the pyrolysis zone under the whole hopper will take about 45 minutes. At that time, with a 'fully developed fire' the Excess Air will be about 75% which is right on target. Ulan reported 77%.

He is burning Kara-Keche bituminous coal and we are burning a wet lignite from Baganuur. The K-K has about twice the energy per kg.

The hopper load here is seven kg.

Dear Crispin
What is the efficiency measure? CO/(CO+CO2)?
Philip