[Stoves] Burning unhealthy gases improves efficiency (Re: Philip, Crispin, Paul)

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Sep 8 21:09:58 CDT 2017

Dear Philip and Nikhil

While concurring with both the evolution of the 'solid fuels kill' theology and the driving off of volatiles, there is an aspect of making this work which applies to any solid fuel. It is that the gases produced are far better broken down (long chains shortened‎ to small molecules) if the volatiles/evaporated portions are passes through a hot bed of burning coke/char.

The stove were testing yesterday and the day before is a new iteration of the GTZ-7 from 2010 and features an 'error' in design that has the entire hopper heated outside by hot gases resulting from combustion. This is not all that helpful for burning high volatiles fuel but is aesthetically pleasing and simple to construct. In both Bishkek and Ulaanbaatar we found the performance improves when four bricks are placed in the gas-space against the outside of the hopper/bunker ‎to limit the heat getting into the hopper walls.

The trick to making this system work is to maintain a coke bed while pyrolysing ‎fresh fuel on a slow but continuous basis.

The MN4.01 in question is burning out the coke bed without properly maintaining the mass of fuel on it. This is caused by the clearance (gap) between the 'bridge' and the grate. The bridge holds up the divider between the fire and the hopper. It will be cast iron, and was carved from a brick. In the interim I am using a welded steel bridge.

If it is raised, fuel falls more easily ‎onto the lower grate, maintaining its depth. I have to raise it perhaps 5mm. This will reduce the excess air level as more coke is burning at once.

The goal is to get 8% O2 with coal and 10%, maybe 9% burning wood. (coal is more predictable so it can be run closer to the limit).

A second problem with that version is that the top was not screwed down tightly and I think quite a bit of air is leaking through, spoiling the draft, at least partly. That may affect the way the fuel falls onto the lower grate. Not much has been done to characterise that. We'll see.

The report from Bishkek is that the combustion is stable throughout the burn with the bricks in place: 28 MJ/kg ‎bituminous Kara-Keche. We didn't have a perfect burn with Baganuur (17 MJ/kg lignite) for the reasons mentioned. Altanzul is work on options in the coming week.

The MN4.01 has chambers for coal and fire made only of the plastic refractory materials (phosphate bonded) and they seem to perform well. Hard, strong, hold a great deal of heat and are thermal shock resistant.

Photo of the stove before the top is put on is attached.

‎
Philip:

Thank you for the comment, "I think the remark about “Solid fuel stoves that cook the fuel are much cleaner, generally, than those which don't.” has to do with the removal of the volatile fraction of the fuel, which, for instance in bottom-lit fires, is driven off by heat as “smoke”."

I don't know why I misread it the first time; my eyes must have faced smoke. I should have interpreted it the way you describe.

I think Paul characterized it similarly - "making and burning gases". Except that it probably is not as much as "removing" the volatile fraction, but giving it the right amount of air and releasing it in gaseous form so it can burn cleaner.

About the 24MJ/kg coal you burnt -- was it high-vol to begin with and had it been ground finely? In a way, a pulverized coal furnace in a power plant, with exhaust gases being passed through a baghouse or an ESP to capture the very fine particulates, does the same thing, no?

Why do you call it a "working hypothesis", I wonder? This was the coal chemistry (and physics, due to different grinding index values) and combustion link I learnt.
++++

Here is a conundrum -- before 2000 or so, Kirk Smith used to discuss individual components of air emissions from "uncontrolled combustion of  unprocessed solid fuels" and claim that exposures amounted to smoking 400 cigarettes a day. Most of these were PAHs that could be just burnt away better (hence his qualification about "uncontrolled" and "unprocessed"; controlled combustion of either raw or processed fuels can achieve more complete combustion, depending on design and operational factors.)

Then he took a sharp turn sometime in the mid- to late 2000s and stuck only to "PM2.5" indiscriminately which he assumed to be equitoxic. (The only justification advanced is that "we don't know if that is not the case", which to me is irrational, given no causal links to disease patterns.)

Voila, "improved combustion" was out the window as a technical solution. "Solid fuels" became "dirty by definition", LPG became "clean by definition". "Killing by definition" followed logically, given the Integrated Exposure Response assumption.

For centuries and all over, humanity has tinkered with flow of air, temperature of combustion, fuel feed methods, shape and materials of stoves and furnaces of many a size, to improve efficiency and burn off volatile fractions (and water in some cases).

I have never known Prof. Smith to bother with metal content in solid fuels that is ash (or solid waste of combustion) or char left unused. He single-handed brought about a millennial intellectual revolution -- all solid fuels are dirty per se. No use bothering with improved combustion.

I submit this theology is at the root of the SDG that sets as goal a reduction in the % of households that use solid fuels as the primary energy source for cooking, and generates aDALYs so Gold Standard Foundation can collect fees by fooling the gullible.

Mere science has huge political consequences. Prof. Smith has driven a stake in the heart of "more complete combustion" -- "More Complete Union of Carbon and Oxygen", I used to say - that I suppose is the core mission of this group. I support his call for transition to LPG and electric induction stove, but I think it is still worthwhile to do better of what we know how to do better anyway.

Volatile matter has higher heating value, and more complete combustion not only burns off unhealthy gases but improves efficiency. If I had any objection to Crispin's statement, it is probably just that small solid fuel stoves for cooking are not as versatile as gas stoves, which meet user preferences for control and time-saving and leave no ash.

I wonder if cooking some foods releases PM2.5. Prof. Smith would declare not just that cooking kills, but food kills. (Which some do, but that is another tale.)

Nikhil