[Stoves] [biochar] Where to discuss STOVES AND CARBON offsets and drawdown

tmiles at trmiles.com tmiles at trmiles.com
Tue Sep 12 11:52:02 CDT 2017

In the US, a number of “just anybody” organizations create certification protocols. Eventually they settle down to a few. We have many industry standards that begin as voluntary standards and eventually get worked into law.  These are often called “working standards” while under development by professional and public-private organizations. Sometimes public agencies will enforce a standard before an industry-government committee has fully developed it. This is usually done in the name of public safety. Often public agencies with authority will only accept products that meet the standards of specified organizations. I understand that has been the approach of some countries in Europe where only the European Biochar Certificate is recognized by the governments. The governments then enforce the regulation to ensure that the products continue to be made following the EBC protocols. EBC certification is costly and products must be tested frequently.

Starting in 2008 International Biochar Initiative developed a biochar certification process. To date only California has adopted the protocol. The standards and protocol can be found on the IBI website. It has three components: safety, stability, and sustainability. Products must pass toxicity limits for the local government. They must meet a minimum level of stability, as measured by the ratio of hydrogen to organic carbon in the biochar. The lower the ratio the more stable the carbon. The IBI Standard uses these ratios to estimate the longevity of the carbon in soil. If you know the composition of your char you can estimate the potential longevity by using the IBI Classification tool on the IBI website. http://www.biochar-international.org/classification_tool

http://www.biochar-international.org/characterizationstandard

Sustainability is often the biggest challenge. That is becoming easier in some areas as more wood companies are adopting standards by organizations such as the Forest Stewardship Council(FSC). FSC has been active with charcoal production in Namibia.

While there are standards, like the Gold Standard, for carbon offsets or carbon reduction using biomass stoves, there are no accepted standards for using stoves to make biochar for carbon sequestration. The IBI Standard has not been adopted by a body such as the UNFCCC. Organizations that provide incentives for using biochar producing stoves do so following their own criteria. What organizations now offer financial incentives for making biochar from stoves?

A smallholder in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) may be quite happy to receive an incentive for making biochar in a TLUD and putting into a planting hole, water catchment garden, or crop for his/her own use. Ten years ago a farmer from The Gambia told us that he improved germination and wheat yields when he added biochar to compost at the bottom of water catchment “zai” holes. If he has continued that practice he should have some very healthy soil by now. An urban family may not have as much direct use for biochar and could be happy to sell it.

Studies of fuel supply and household energy in SSA show that people obtain fuels from a wide variety of sources. These studies also identify the wide variety of factors that influence fuel choices. The World Agroforestry Centre in Kenya ( http://www.worldagroforestry.org/ ) and others are keenly aware of the impact of fuel consumption on wood and agricultural resources. They point out that in Tanzania charcoal consumption is growing ((5%)) much faster than fuelwood consumption (1%) and that urban consumers are more apt to adopt improved stoves but they consume less per capita (0.8 kg/day) than rural consumers (1.2 kg/day). We need to be aware that a wide variety of factors influence fuel choices so a carbon incentive might have a small impact. As long as we are aware that a biochar stoves programs, like Paul’s in India, may depend on a combination of economic and social circumstances we should be able to tailor local incentives to produce biochar for environmental and other benefits.

Tom