[Stoves] Is this Off Topic?? Fwd: Re: [biochar] Where to discuss STOVES AND CARBON offsets and drawdown

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 02:06:38 CDT 2017

On 13 September 2017 at 05:08, Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> Philip,
>
> There are two aspects:
>
> 1.  Debate about  whether there is climate change.   My response is:
> Opinions are like navels (belly buttons).  Everybody has one.  (the
> originally mentioned body part is a different one (and not the nose or
> mouth).)    I have other things to do in my life than enter into that
> debate.

Agreed and the people that believe in a net benefit in increased
carbon dioxide in the atmosphere appear to always want the last word
and also believe he who shouts loudest wins.

Let's stay away from that  debate.

> 2.  Discuss possible actions that involve cookstoves that could cause carbon
> drawdown (or earning carbon credits).   This is not about if it should be
> done, but is about how it can be done.   And even more important is to
> actually be doing actions.  And to do those actions, some funding would be
> very appropriate and useful to get the stoves into use.   And if funding
> comes from people who are motivated by climate change, that money is just as
> good as money from people motivated by health reasons..   Even  better if
> both, but one is sufficient.   And I think that carbon (climate) issues
> could be more motivating than are the health issues (at least to some
> potential sources of grants, gifts, loans or sales of carbon credits.)

I agree with most of this too but I have a more chagrined view, it is
a bandwagon and like any intervention in the market place will attract
carpet baggers and crooks.

In UK  there is a health and safety culture that has dramatically
reduced workplace accidents and mortallity but it has spawned a huge
market for consultancy, auditing and assessing work that are far
better paid than the practitioners of the trade, c'est la vie.

However carbon credits are available, for whatever reason, and if
stoves can get money from them developers would be daft not to take it

Andrew

PS Nikhil made similar points in a post I saw yesterday but I have not
had time to find it agin and respond with my agreement.