[Stoves] Calculating cooking costs and char costs ----Re: [biochar] Where to discuss STOVES AND CARBON offsets and drawdown

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Sep 18 15:17:00 CDT 2017

Thanks Tom

The angle I was taking was that the wasteful burning of crop wastes is entirely because it is not worth bringing it in from the field.

I figured that there were two saleable products: the gas and the char, and as long as it broke even. As the fertiliser has a real value (meaningful as a product) it is reasonable to establish a collection mechanism within a radius of a gasification station and fertiliser plant. As you can imagine, there are lots of them.

The amount of material available is large.

The direct consequence (stopping the burning) is an improvement in the air quality as it drifts into Beijing which is harmed each year during ‘burning week’. The burning is illegal but happens at night. It makes a brown cloud of eye-stinging smoke that hangs around the region for about 4 days.  When it happens it gives photographers a chance to get out the cameras and wail about the air pollution ‘caused by burning coal’. The smoke has a significant GHG cooling effect.

In the last couple of years biochar has become a national priority in China. We have seen substantial research and several production facilities but it is difficult to get a clear picture of actual production and use.  IBI china provided us with a map and description earlier this year:

“Straw biomass biochar and biochar-based organo-mineral compound fertilizers approved as one of the Top Ten viable systems for recycling agricultural residues by China's Ministry of Agricuture”   http://www.biochar-international.org/node/8858

Tom