[Stoves] Calculating cooking costs and char costs ----Re: [biochar] Where to discuss STOVES AND CARBON offsets and drawdown

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 13:18:31 CDT 2017

Crispin:

Crop waste - or urban garden/park waste - doesn't have to be burned in the
open. What you are complaining about in Beijing is what Kirk Smith suffered
in New Delhi last year and is gearing up for this year. However, there are
markets for waste biomasses.

These are fragmented markets. Matchmaking and logistics can be
unpredictable, which is why open burning of crops and grasses - I remember
seeing from the air vast fires in South Africa-Mozambique area - needs
promotion of markets other than household fuels.

Farm and rice/oil milling wastes have been sold to different customers in
my part of India as far back as I can remember. (Ceramic kilns I visited as
a child.)

In the 1990s, a biomass power plant was set up in Punjab, India using straw
or rice husks and with a 12-15 USc/kWh feed-in tariff. By 2007 or so, it
became unviable because the husk fetched higher price from brick kilns, so
the plant owner asked for a raise in tariff.

Brick kiln demands were driven by construction boom but also because the
government raised the prices for coal, lignite, and fuel oil. Fossil fuel
opponents might have cheered, just that brick kilns probably generated
higher local pollutant concentrations.

Around 2011/2012 I visited a brick kiln and confirmed crop waste use and
pollution in southern Maharashtra.

The BP/Castrol pellet cookstove project failed as feedstock prices went up.
Same issue - brick kilns.

I wonder if the rise in feedstock prices - from zero, that is - killed the
much-vaunted "Husk Power", played up by IFC and Ashden.

There are non-energy markets too. I saw truck loads of some farm waste
being transported on highways - cattlefeed from plant-rich to semi-desert
area.

Just came across a company for rice husk ash - http://www.ricehuskash.com/.
So even the ash is being put to use.

Biochar will have competition. IHME ought to compute GBD from brick kiln
PM2.5.

Nikhil

On Sep 18, 2017, at 4:17 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <