[Stoves] Energypedia - Cooking energy compendium + Clean Cooking Forum 2017

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 22:46:52 CDT 2017

 The GIZ HERA Cooking Energy Compendium is available at
https://energypedia.info/wiki/GIZ_HERA_Cooking_Energy_Compendium.

>From what I have been able to read so far, this is a very informative and
realistic guide. Perhaps not as much technical detail as the MIT D-Lab
publication, which was quite disappointing in its narrow coverage.

I am surprised - or I shouldn't be - that this does not appear to have any
mention on GACC website - www.cleancookstoves.org.

GIZ HERA also appears to not be represented yet at the Clean Cooking Forum
2017 next month in New Delhi.  Puzzling since the Government of Netherlands
is a Gold Level sponsor of the show, but perhaps more as the home country
of Royal Dutch Shell, another Gold Level Sponsor and not as a sponsor of
EnDev cookstove programs.

Speaking of the Forum, I don't see official representation or sponsorship
yet by any other governments - Germany, UK, Norway, Sweden - who supported
GACC .

The speakers list <http://www.cleancooking2017.org/speakers/> doesn't seem
to represent anybody with experience in improved solid fuel cookstoves,
though individual panels do have Paul Anderson, Dean Still, John Mitchell,
Paul Means, Rafaella Bellanca, Amber Bloomer, Vi Rapp -  names I can
recognize as active in technical aspects.

There is supposed to be a day-long pre-forum workshop on the public health
benefits of scaling up clean cooking ""in collaboration with USAID and
NIH’s Implementation Science Network."

Is Clean Cooking now an oil company show with a sideshow of aDALYs? I
wonder whose problems that would solve and when. More health research is
needed on a large scale to define what "dirty" meant and what "clean"
means. For Kirk Smith, solid fuels cooking is by definition dirty and leads
to fictitious exposures of three billion people. (Not that it matters in
GBD calculations, which are for cohorts of some 50-55 million dead every
year with their roughly three billion life-years histories of exposure to
PM 2.5, which nobody knows about.)

Sigh,

Maybe Tom Miles has some positive inspirational view on whether GIZ HERA
are on the right track or GACC.

Nikhil