[Stoves] stoves and credits again

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Fri Sep 22 11:11:09 CDT 2017

Stovers,

I believe this H/C ratio should be used  as the char being sequestered. But the equipment is expensive  (~#30+k) and the hydrogen can be tricky to get a good value. Used in a ratio and a small difference can make a big difference in results. And a very small sample is used of about 0.2g.

I’m thinking a TGA as a possible replacement for what we are doing. The left over char is placed in cups of several grams and easy to run, say, four reps. They are dried at 150 c. (per Hugh suggestion), then nitrogen flushed in the system and heated to 500c and determine any change in weight, then oxygen flushed into the system and the ash determined. all on the same samples. I have never used a TGA but they are common and many second hand ones available. Leco makes a good one  I am told.

The char left can be 1) used or 2) not used for sequestered carbon. There is no percentage that can be used IMO. It is made properly or it will biodegrade. So the loss in weight from Dried >> to >> 550c in nitrogen should be close to nothing to be called Char and used. Not yet sure what ‘Close’ means, perhaps a change less than about 5%.  Then you calculate out the ash determined at the end.

Because char high in cations 9grasses, leaves etc) when charred in oxygen will convert some of the carbon into carbonates (inorganic carbon) I am thinking we  can ignore inorganic carbon as long as the ash is less than 20%. Chars with greater than 20% ash should not be considered as biochar due to problems in testing and that no natural clean woody material will have ash greater than 20%. And IMO biochar should be from clean natural materials - or called something different the biochar. (co-gen char, manure-chars etc.).

Bottom line: The char left passing the test from weight loss from (150c to 500c) can be used as sequestered carbon. The weight loss from 500c in nitrogen to 550c in oxygen is mostly carbon to be used for sequestered carbon. If the test from 150c to 500c does not pass (to much weight loss) then just add it to the soil with no carbon credit. If the ash is above 20% then call it some char with a qualifier attached as to what its made from.

Frank

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields