[Stoves] stoves and credits again

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 24 16:26:45 CDT 2017

Philip, Tom and all,

Philip is mostly correct.  Actually wood takes up (has) too much
WEIGHT.  Wood has 3 times (or more, if the char is poorly made) the
ENERGY value of charcoal that could come from that char.   But it has
about 5 times the DRY weight of the char, plus there can be 20 to 50%
moisture  content to make the wood even heavier.

And the charcoal has  almost double (30 vs. 16) the energy content by
weight, but char is so much lighter per unit of volume.  So the trucks
are buldging upward and sideways with the sacks of charcoal strapped to
them.  Weight of charcoal is not a problem for most transport.

Apart from the transportation issue, I believe that the appeal of
charcoal is that it does not smoke (not much).   CO is invisible and
deadly, but the people learn to cook on the balcony or keep some air
flowing.  And it does not turn the bottom of the pots black.

Charcoal is an attractive fuel.   Too bad it is made by processes that
throw away 2/3rds of the energy.    (So, let's promote TLUD stroves and
collect the char for sale to the urban folks.  Only one third of the
cutting of wood/forest.)

  So, if 100,000 households (mainly in rural or peri-urban areas) would
use TLUDs, the resultant char would equal to the energy needed for an
approximately equal number of households (mainly urban) that would want
to burn charcoal.

Now that would be FUEL efficiency measured by communities, not by single
stoves.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com