[Stoves] The goals of my TLUD work

Ray Menke ray.menke at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 10:58:50 CDT 2017

Jock Gill,
Thanks for posting the details and photos of your TLUD development work.
I know you are using pellets because they are consistent, but I would
like to see some results with dead limbs, branches, and twigs such as
would be found on the ground around trees.  In my experience, they
don't burn nearly as long as pellets, so the fuel chamber would need
to be much taller to do any serious cooking chores.  (18" high seems
about right, when using junk wood.  It also makes lots of char.)

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Jock Gill <jock at jockgill.com> wrote:
> Here are the basic goals I have for my TLUD development work:
>
> 1. Achieve as long a period of blue flames as possible;
>
> 2. Look like a gas stove burner - aspirational;
>
> 3. Be very low cost so teachers can afford to make it;
>
> 4. Get pyrolysis and Biochar into schools;
>
> 5.  Use the heat from the burning gases as completely as possible;
>
> 6. As few and as simple parts as possible;
>
> 7. Easy and safe construction with simple tools;
>
> 8. No metal cutting or sharp edges;
>
> 9. Best run time with the maximum yield of high quality charcoal;
>
> 10. A clean process that has minimal negative impacts;
>
> 11. Support Drawdown, Regenerative Agriculture, and The Circular Economy;
>
> 12. An attractive package that invites use.
>
> Biomass, Thermal energy and Carbon are too valuable to waste.
>
> What did I miss?  Of course others will have different sets of goals.  How much overlap will there be?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jock
>
> Jock Gill
> P. O. Box 3