[Stoves] Fwd: stoves and credits again

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 19:02:03 CDT 2017

Todd:

I suspect in most contexts, "Efficient small household cook stoves have
limited value producing meaningful volumes of biochar".

For reasons I mentioned in my reply to Andrew on Rachel Kyte's recent
speech, I am not surprised "A 3 brick fire is free and an efficient stove
is way down the list of priorities for the poor."

Grid electrification will take the bulk of money and attention in Myanmar
or most other places. Serious, patient grant donors should come forth with
offers to support stoves programs as "modernizing livelihoods", designed
for particular contexts as "cooking energy systems", where food and water
security are not compromised.

I emphasize "food and water" because there is no point obsessing over
sustainable energy when sustaining life is a problem and because proximity
to running tap water, even a few hours a day, changes the cycle of cooking
and all related kitchen work (washing food items to pots, plates and
floors; and using water to cook or heat for other uses).

I submit "human environment" -- the immediate residential area with its
conveniences (or not), and neighborhood/locality - should and will take
priority over "global environment". That is both moral and practical.

Nikhil