[Stoves] Fwd: RE: Explaination of downdraft in TLUD updraftstoves ---was--Re: Mis-information

Kirk H. gkharris316 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 1 18:22:04 CDT 2018

Alex,

This is a natural draft stove in the drawing, and the stove is supposed to be able to operate by natural draft.  If only the forced air version had been put forward then I would not have expressed any concern.  I am trying to understand how this natural draft stove, with no chimney, could have a down-draft.

For this natural draft stove, without the annulus draft there would not be a Venturi at the bottom.  A natural draft stove powers any Venturi by draft.  Draft is what makes the air move to create Venturi low pressure.  The air/gas mixture which is burning is emanating from the annulus, so that is where the draft would be.  If it is truly down-draft in the fuel chamber, the annulus draft is necessary.  In fact a Venturi may not even be of consequence.  All natural draft stoves where down-draft exists have to have a larger up-draft someplace driving the gas movement, usually in a chimney.  In the case of this stove, the only driving up-draft possibility would be from the annulus flame.

You have included some interesting chemistry insights.

The tall flame is a diffusion flame which indeed has no oxygen in its center.  This type of flame indicates inadequate mixing within the stove.  With good mixing there would be no lack of oxygen in the center and the flame would burn quicker and not be so tall.

Kirk H.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10