[Stoves] FW: [stove] Health information affects willingness to pay

Anderson, Paul psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Aug 10 06:49:29 CDT 2018

Stovers,      (I introduce a message sent from Kirk Smith’s mailing list, including an important report.   It is important that information like this is widely shared.)

The report below (and the same in the attachment) is interesting about stoves (especially LPG) and perceptions about health benefits.

1.  It shows the lengths to which the LPG advocates will go to try to make their point about LPG being clean.   An additional subsidy of INR 123 (almost US$ 2) per LPG fill-up to get people to change behavior to use more LPG.

2.  The impact of the health information was a willingness to pay (WTP) increase of INR 10 (US$ 0.15).   See the justification / interpretation in a text box about why this is considered important.

3.  Combining 1 and 2 above, the use of LPG is very much about its cost, and the perceived health impact will only cover about 10% of the needed financial stimulus.   So, even if the perceived health impact was five times greater, it is still less than half of what is needed to get the low-income population to use LPG (based on only this one study, which is not conclusive pro nor con IMO.)

My comment:  I am impressed by the quality of the research study, but I am not impressed with the results regarding impact of health information on households, especially not regarding LPG.   Others might have different opinions.

[Note:  I am less active on the Stoves Listserv this month because of some uncommon extra activities (all good).   I might not respond in the follow-up discussions.]

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP