[Stoves] Peat

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Aug 16 15:50:10 CDT 2018

Dear Neil

You will be delighted to know that there are some laser-based bug blasters that have been developed (waiting for permission to sell) that are capable of picking off 2000 mosquitoes per second, located based on the sound they emit. Changing the wavelength to that of a biting midge will be an undisguised blessing when they finally get to market. They operates as sort of curtain, about 4 x 8 feet.

Just install a few chickens under each one and you have free, hormone-and-additive-free poultry food.

Regards
Crispin the biting bug hater

Just a quick note on returning from a month's wild car camping in Scotland to report my pleasant surprise to disover how well and easily peat burns in a TLUD.

In the highlands and far north we found sporadic small scale peat cutting and drying, no doubt for occasional domestic fires, but on nothing like the scale I remember in Ireland in the mid 1960s where the roads were lined with substantial piles of drying peat for mile after mile, and it was obviously relied upon by the crofters for all their heating and cooking needs.

It crumbled into small lumps very easily, so was a lot easier to load a stove than with prepared chunks of wood.  It took a little longer to establish from startup, but then burned with a steady clean flame and longer duration than with wood.  The first experiment cooked our meal nicely.

Best fuel on the moors and in the mountains apart from that was heather and gorse, often easy to just pick up in dry well seasoned easy snappy pieces, sometimes also a legacy of moorland fires.  And Scots pine cones of course.  It was all just so easy, when we weren't coming under attack from Culicoides impunctatus of course (punkies - biting midges) which are the principle reason for not much habitation of the highlands!

Neil Taylor