[Stoves] Peat

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Thu Aug 16 06:16:28 CDT 2018

Just a quick note on returning from a month's wild car camping in
Scotland to report my pleasant surprise to disover how well and easily
peat burns in a TLUD.

In the highlands and far north we found sporadic small scale peat cutting
and drying, no doubt for occasional domestic fires, but on nothing like
the scale I remember in Ireland in the mid 1960s where the roads were
lined with substantial piles of drying peat for mile after mile, and it
was obviously relied upon by the crofters for all their heating and
cooking needs.

It crumbled into small lumps very easily, so was a lot easier to load a
stove than with prepared chunks of wood.  It took a little longer to
establish from startup, but then burned with a steady clean flame and
longer duration than with wood.  The first experiment cooked our meal
nicely.

Best fuel on the moors and in the mountains apart from that was heather
and gorse, often easy to just pick up in dry well seasoned easy snappy
pieces, sometimes also a legacy of moorland fires.  And Scots pine cones
of course.  It was all just so easy, when we weren't coming under attack
from Culicoides impunctatus of course (punkies - biting midges) which are
the principle reason for not much habitation of the highlands!

Neil Taylor