[Stoves] TLUD-ND transition from hydrocarbonflametocharcoalflame / Temperature gap between self incending charcoalandwoodgas

Kirk H. gkharris316 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 16 17:12:04 CDT 2018

All,

There were some excellent responses to my post concerning TLUD-ND transition from wood gas flame to char flame.  As I think through them I come to a hypothesis as to why the flare of wood gas occurs at the end of a burn.  I think the key is in Dr. Boll’s response, that char and wood gas have vastly different ignition points.

As the migratory pyrolytic front reaches the grate, the heat begins radiating from the coals downward.  This lost heat brings the wood gas below its ignition temperature, and so the secondary flame cools and becomes less capable of burning the wood gas efficiently.  The char in the bottom solution put forward by Crispin and the perforated plate solution put forward by myself both keep the wood gas hotter so the secondary flame is not cooled.  The char on top solution put forward by Ray reheats the wood gas by adding heat above the char.  The igniter solution put forward by Frans would continuously reignite the lower temperature wood gas, so the gas does not need to be kept hot.

As a side benefit Dr. Anderson noted that the char in the bottom solution would also protect the stove materials for a longer stove life span.

Thank you for your contributions,

Kirk H.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10