[Stoves] FW: New York Times: Toxic Smoke Is Africa’s Quiet Killer. An Entrepreneur Says His Fix Can Make a Fortune

Carlo Figà Talamanca carlo at sgfe-cambodia.com
Fri Dec 14 22:16:35 CST 2018

Dear all,
this is the first time I intervene on this mailing list. I have been
following for years with very much interest the technical discussions on
stoves, where I am not an expert, but I have a pretty good experience and
knowledge about fuel production and distribution, through my
char-briquettes company in Cambodia - SGFE. We are so successful in
Cambodia that now we have decided to "franchise" our model in other
countries and we are doing that through a new company called OTAGO
www.otago-global.com

Regarding Inyenyeri's business model, I have to say that I have more than a
doubt:

1. If inyenyeri has 5,000 customers, that means that they are producing at
least 5 tons of pellets per day (1 kg/stove/day). Judging from the pictures
of the production facility, I would hardly say it produces even just 1
ton/day. Where is the raw material? Where are the safety stocks? Where is
the equipment? Are they moving 5 tons of material around the factory every
day with a wheelbarrow as it can be seen in one of the pictures? My factory
has an average output of 3-4 tons/day and it has a main building of 1,200
sqm, 30 production workers and a raw material stock of 200 tons and a
finished product stock of 70-80 tons (not considering the buffers of
material which is being processed).
Why are the production workers in Inyeyeri wearing helmets? The building is
not really high, there don't seem to be any overhead stored material or
overhead movement of material (like with cranes). In my experience with
processing biomass fuel, you keep everything on the floor, since there is
lots of material and it is really heavy. Unless there is the risk that the
roof falls on their head, the helmets seem completely useless and worn just
as a statement of (useless) safety measures being implemented.

2. According to Inyenyeri's business model, they receive the biomass from
the people that collect it and bring it to the factory. To produce 5
tons/day you need at least 5 tons of wood per day (more if you consider the
moisture content). If everybody brought 50kg (I imagine these people are
low income, might not have a car or even a motorbike and therefore bring
everything on foot, as shown in a picture) that would mean 100 people line
up every day in front of the factory. How much time does it take to weigh
the wood one by one and pay them? Do they weigh 5 tons of wood every day
with that small hanging scale that can be seen in one of the pictures? At
SGFE we have trucks delivering the raw material at the factory and just the
unloading of the trucks is already a really hard job.

3. How does Inyenyeri distribute the pellets? With bicycles, as it can be
seen in the picture and in the video? They distribute 5 tons of pellets in
a HILLY COUNTRY with bicycles? How many bicycles do they have/need? The
riders have probably a training ready  to participate to the Tour the
France.... In Cambodia we use 2-3 Tuk Tuks driving around the city 10 hours
a day (from 8am to 6 pm), fully loaded to deliver 3-4 tons/day. And Phnom
Penh is completely flat!

4. According to Inyenyeri's business model they distribute Mimimotos stoves
for free and they earn the money by selling the fuel. If Inyenyeri makes
30% profit margin on the fuel (which is massive, because fuel businesses
are usually "low margins high volumes" business models), selling the
pellets at 0.24 USD/kg, it would take 2 years and 3 months only to pay back
the 60 USD stove. How are they making any money? What if some of the
customers decide they don't want to buy the pellets anymore, which would
add effective losses?

5. Inyenyeri's business model is already pretty hard to believe with the
alleged 5,000 customers, how do they intend to scale up to serve 100,000
households? Do they have any idea of what it means to produce 100 tons of
pellets per day? (Size of the building and land, necessary raw material
storage, equipment, trucks, etc...). How many hundreds/thousands of people
will line up in front of the factory every day to supply the wood/raw
material? Is it even manageable and is it actually feasible to secure the
required feedstock with such a business model? Are they going to deliver
100 tons per month on bicycles?

6. Inyenyeri has risen 12 million USD in funding (private investments and
grants). On what basis was that amount of money granted to Inyenyeri? For
their business model or their technology or their market penetration? Is
the business plan or any other data publicly available? What have they
demonstrated in the past? And what have they done with that money so far?

I am an engineer and have been working in the fuel business for 8 years. I
find it really hard to believe Inyenyeri's story and am wondering if
anybody else has the same doubts or if anyone can eventually give me some
answers.

Best regards,
Carlo
*Carlo Figà Talamanca - CEO*
*Sustainable Green Fuel Enterprise (**SGFE**)*
Phlove Lom, Phoum Russey, Sangkat Stueng Meanchey, Khan Meanchey,
Phnom Penh, CAMBODIA
T: +855-(0)97-8159256
E: carlo at sgfe-cambodia.com <carloft at gmail.com>
W: www.sgfe-cambodia.com