[Stoves] New York Times: Toxic Smoke Is Africa’s Quiet Killer. An Entrepreneur Says His Fix Can Make a Fortune

Carlo Figà Talamanca carlo at sgfe-cambodia.com
Sun Dec 16 03:24:20 CST 2018

Dear all,
glad to see some discussiosn and different opinions.

@ Paul, thanks for the compliments about OTAGO and I confirm that the TLUD
technology is working very well for us. We have uploaded also some
technical drawing of our TLUD powered kilns/dryers on our website:
http://otago-global.com/activities/
In 2019 we intend to build a new bigger factory and I am sending you in the
attachment a 3D design of what it will look like (production capacity of up
to 20 tons/day). Besides the 3D external design of the factory, which looks
"pretty", we have also done a full 3D simulation of the entire production
process, calculating and measuring machine performances, stock and buffer
sizes, and HR requirements (short video of the simulation showing part of
the factory also in the attachment). You are welcome to come visit next
time you pass by in the area (South East Asia).

Likewise, everybody else is welcome to visit our factory. We give regular
factory tours to whoever requests one, usually schools/universities and
NGOs/international organizations, but in some cases also to private sector.
What Paul mentions about being useful to see some data from Inyenyeri, I
completely agree! I have always had very open attitude with my business
(for example factory visits) and at each and every PPT presentation I
include a graph showing our sales increasing from 48 tons/year in 2011 to
1,180 tons/year in 2017. In this sense, I have written and published a full
handbook (including a management excel tool) about char-briquettes
production, which can also be downloaded directly from our website.
http://otago-global.com/making-char-briquettes/

@ Crispin: carbon credits are an option, but you need that people use the
stoves, and that you actually produce and distribute the fuel.

@ Nikhil: I don't understand why you bring now the GACC in the discussion
and I would prefer to remain focused on the topic. I also think that there
is no need to remind us about the potential market represented by the clean
cooking sector and its problems (3 billion potential customers and 4
million deaths). We are also working in this sector and are very well aware
of the situation.
The new articles that you have shared in the links don't provide many
answer to my questions and actually they generated some new ones:

   - The Mimi Moto stove costs actually 80 USD (and not 60 USD as I
   thought) making the entire business model financially even more difficult.
   Is that right?
   - *"In August, the IKEA Foundation made a 3m euro grant to Inyenyeri, as
   part of its global commitment to protect the health of children. That
   support is critical as Inyenyeri moves towards its goal of providing
   cookstoves to 150,000 homes in Rwanda by 2020."* From 2,000 customers to
   150,000 households within 3 years? How convincing must that grant proposal
   have been?
   - 600,000 up to 1 million carbon credits generated by 2023, which the
   World Bank and Ci-Dev are ready to buy? How many tons of pellets is that?
   If that calculation was made for my char-briquettes here in Cambodia that
   would be 36,000 tons to 60,000 tons of fuel. Is that actually feasible to
   do by 2023, considering what we have seen so far? What are today's actual
   production and sales rates? What is needed to reach the necessary scale
   (investment, equipment, market)? Since, as you mention, proper due
   diligence must have been carried out, it would be great if some of the math
   was made public to understand how such business models can actually scale
   up so quickly. This is a "development sector" and I believe that
   organizations like World Bank and Ci-Dev wouldn't have any problems
   disclosing such information so that eventually other could benefit from it
   and more could be done to help 3 billion people.
   - *"Inyenyeri came up with a barter system under which rural household
   provide the company with wood, the raw material for its pellets. In return,
   they get stoves and pellets. These cashless customers only have to collect
   about half as much wood as they used to because the stove-pellet
   combination is so much more efficient than open fires, according to
   Reynolds."* What I heard is that Inyeyeri is exchanging 8 kg of wood for
   1 kg of pellets, is that right? In that case would it really be more
   convenient for the people to exchange wood for pellets, considering that
   they also have to bring it all the way out to the factory and back to their
   homes?
   - *"First, Inyenyeri is using Mimi Moto stoves, which are, by most
   accounts, the cleanest biomass stoves in the world." *Is it also the
   preferred stove by users and best selling stove? Here in Cambodia there has
   been a "result based financed stove auction" (
   http://www.thestoveauction.org/) where also the Mimi Moto stove
   participated and talking to stove sellers, they told me that it wasn't one
   of their best selling stoves at all. Any different data and results in
   other countries?
   - Congratulations to Eric for Marmot, but I thought that here we were
   discussing about Inyenyeri's business model...

Looking forward to more interesting and engaging discussions.

Best regards,
Carlo