[Stoves] News: Methanol cooking fuel for india...

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 16:54:28 CST 2018

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 at 21:49, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> The % purity of ethanol has to do with the cost of purification. A
> standard industrial fractional distillation tower can produce 95% ethanol
> in one pass.

Yes

> That's it. Anything above that needs a second or third pass,

No.Cannot be done, the 95% alcohol:5% water mixture boils at a lower
temperature than pure ethanol and will always remain 95%:5% at each
distillation. To make anhydrous alcohol needs a separate process like
passing it through oven dried cracked wheat. Search on positive azeotropic
mixture

> Very few ethanol stoves have low CO,

I believe you, all I was pointing out is that if it is producing CO it is
also likely producing aldehyde

Andrew