[Stoves] Distillation and oxidation Re: Understanding TLUDs, MPF and more. (was Re: Bangladesh TLUD )

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 7 08:05:40 CST 2018

Some clarification,

1.  This message is to the Stoves Listserv.   There have been perhaps 20
other messages with the exact same Subject title that have gone to only
3 to 5 people, even with the    RE:[Stoves] start to the title.   There
were some good exchanges and I learned so infom but (in my opinion)
_most_ Stovers should be glad that they were spared from reading those
messages.

2.  The topic is actually of more potential interest to those who are
keen about Gasification (broadest definition).   And those readers are
on their own listserv, of which I have been a subscriber since about
2001-02.   That Gasification List has shown MINIMAL interest in the
topic of TLUD stoves and other micro-gasification devices, and I almost
totally agree with them about that Gasification Listserve to be dealing
with larger systems, not stoves.   So the dialog about TLUDs etc has
been on the Stoves LIstserv.

3.  I will NOT be posting this discussion of distillation and oxidation
to the Gasification Listserv.  But on that list are the experts about
pyrolysis and gasification and all the related processes.   Tom Miles is
on both listservs but did not direct the past messages to that group.
The Gasification group can also be very good at "verbal wars" and
"definitions" debates.

4.  Crispin has written one thing that I do need to address.   He wrote:
> I see now that the two different approaches described by Hirendra will probably give different results:
It has been acknowledged that Hirendra is a gasification expert (in his
80s) who had not heard for TLUD stoves prior to Crispin bringing him in
as a expert.   I suspect that MANY true experts on the formal and
longstanding science of gasification have not heard of TLUD or other
micro-gasifier devices, and have not studied them.   That is fine, but
does not mean that their comments are correct about gasification topics
that are new to them.   The next sentence is NOT correct, whether stated
by Hirendra or Crispin:
> the ‎TLUD with a glowing bed through which the distilled gases immediately under it have to pass in one type,
How are there distilled gases (pyrolytic gases, combustible gases) ever
getting to be UNDER the the glowing bed, even if "immediately under"
means a millimeter or less.   It is possible that some of the gases that
are coming out of a pyrolyzing piece of biomass could be exiting
downward, which would be directly into the glowing bed (or any very thin
layer that is glowing red hot.)    Expect those gases to be combusted IF
there is sufficient primary air reaching that area.  If surplus gases
are there, they would move upward, NOT THROUGH ANY GLOWING BED.

Also consider the pyrolytic gases coming out of the upper side of the
pieces of biomass.   There is no glowing area at all on that side, and
the gases move awary from the glowing hot zone that is beneath the
pieces of biomass.

The pyrolytic ("destructively dry distilled") combustible gases that
move upward inside a TLUD stove are tarry, smoky, long-chain hydrocarbons.

I thank Andrew and Alex for their comments and clarifications, some of
which are found below.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com