[Stoves] WBT disagrements

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Jan 18 00:20:30 CST 2018

Scales are now available with 750,000 divisions. Getting 150,000 divisions used to be very expensive and is now routine.

Obviously the scale should be appropriate to the mass being carried.

The Mettler-Toledo 300 x2 g scale with 4 corner post supports is a really beauty. Unknown to most customers is that the base unit, which is ‘intelligent’, can be programmed to report x 1 g or even 0.2g.

A resolution of 1 g and a reporting frequency of at least 20 per second can yield a 0.1 g reading over 10 seconds (200 readings at least). The Adam Scale below can give 175 readings per second so over 10 seconds it is 1750 values. These are averaged (two options for how it is done) using Jeremy’s Digital Scale Capture programme. Provided you are not using a Chinese OS, it can display the readings, trends, mass burned and average kW in real time. It also gives the 10 second mass change, and a 1 minute calculated firepower value. For those working in ‘difficult’ circumstances, it is important that it pretty much cannot lose data. The file is opened, added to, then close each 10 seconds. If the power goes off all data captured to that point is retained.

The same programme is used at the CAU lab (5 copies of it) for reading various instruments. It can communicate with instruments and cells and scales that require CRC error checked instructions, and can manually drive scales that are not capable of being placed in a continuous transmit mode.

Stove labs commonly use 30 kg, 75kg, 150kg and 300 kg scales. The KG5.1 low pressure boiler, based on the “Magic Stove” weighs 290 kg with the diluter on top so that is about the limit we have seen so far.

Norbert’s test rig weighs the fire, not the fireplace. That is unusual.

We're not involved in CSI testing, but we do use a 75kg scale that resolves to 1 gram, to measure burn rate in a masonry heater.
It is an Adam GFK 165aH, suggested by Crispin
https://www.adamequipment.com/gfk-165ah<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.adamequipment.com%2Fgfk-165ah&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ce774b001b0ef4728b17308d55dfbf460%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636518259070199099&sdata=i%2Bu7xd7HWFB7%2BUYNHy05RFBSPI4JuC9LR9u2EOsxJds%3D&reserved=0>

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 23:26:01 -0000
From: "Xavier Brandao" <xav.brandao at gmail.com<mailto:xav.brandao at gmail.com>> wrote

Dear Andrew

? In the meanwhile I have one question about Xavier's list of equipment needed for his CSI test: did you really mean a 30kg scale with a resolution of one gram? ?

The CSI is not ? my ? test. It is one of the alternative lab protocols to the WBT. I am not a scientist and don?t have a lab, I don?t perform the test. The CSI is, in my opinion, the most interesting because it has little in common with the WBT, so it avoids to reproduce the WBT issues, and it is contextual. That is why I talk about this protocol the most.

--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders