[Stoves] A call to stop using the WBT

Xavier Brandao xav.brandao at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 16:37:13 CST 2018

Dear Ron,

« a.   What are some characteristics of the new test you propose to replace the WBT? »

What do you mean by characteristics?

Possible replacements of the WBT are the CSI and HTP, protocols to be found here:

 <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5rmmRmIsdlnQlRQX3A1cXVOQ3M?usp=sharing> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5rmmRmIsdlnQlRQX3A1cXVOQ3M?usp=sharing

I think the protocol documents are quite detailed. What is not clear in the document, what clarifications would you like to have?

« b.   What happens to the Tier system that is now based on the WBT? »

The Tier system is also put into question. I guess there will be a need for a replacement.

There is one question: is a Tier system absolutely necessary? Why do we need a Tier system for? Can we develop better stoves without it, or not?

If it is indispensable, then the Tier system must mean something, it must be reliable.

« c.   Assuming that this comes up at the ETHOS meeting starting tomorrow - how would you recommend GACC handling that vote, if there is one? »

I would recommend that the GACC discuss openly and transparently this question, and that the participants give their opinion.

I would recommend everyone to read the studies and the alternative protocols, first. If no one knows what the problem is about, it is difficult to talk about solutions.

Then the participants could express what are their needs in terms of testing, and what they think are their potential difficulties in transitioning from the WBT to other lab protocols. As I said previously, I don’t think there are many difficulties in making this transition.

And if some participants want to work towards the development of new and better protocols, more adapted to their needs, then that should be encouraged too.

« d.   What is your response to an observation that this appears to be a reaction against char-making stoves? »

Who makes this observation? This call is not a reaction against any technology. As far as I am concerned, I have nothing against char-making stoves, much on the contrary. I think Moulindu Banerjee project in North-East India is a formidable success story.

Char-making stoves will survive the end of the WBT. If there is a need for a new ways/protocols to measure their benefits, then we should foster such work.

Best,

Xavier