[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 95, Issue 3

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 11:02:31 CDT 2018

On 7/5/2018 9:01 AM, Harold Annegarn wrote:

> Dear Paul, Andrew and list
>
> I would like to add my voice to a request for coal stoves (home cooking and
> heating) to be added back to the discussion topics for stove list.
>
> I agree with Andrew's comments that the diversion into climate change was
> way off topic and should not be part of this list. But the fact that such
> abuse occurred is not to my mind valid reason to blacklist the entire
> domain of coal stoves. There are are of the world where coals (of various
> types) are the dominant energy carrier, and the techniques for clean
> burning stoves, whether coal or modern biomass, rely on the same underlying
> principles of physics, chemistry and industrial design.
>
> Please do not allow populist sentiment against coal as a  source of long
> term climate pollution detract from the near-term necessity to burn it as
> cleanly as possible until the longed for utopia when we all live in a
> pollution free planet, with no war, hunger or inequality (or smelly
> domestic combustion fuels!).

I would second Prof. Annegarn's request. My own interest lies in clean
burning heating stoves. Our particular
learning curve, which includes PM measurement, has resulted in cordwood
burning stoves that are
twice as clean as pellet stoves (in terms of "EPA PM number").

We do have a wood burning cookstove at home, and have been cooking on it
for the last 45 years,
so cookstoves are also of interest.

On the combustion side, I have learned a lot from Crispin, and he serves on
our Masonry Heater
Association technical committee. I follow his coal burning adventures with
interest. I first met Dr.
Tami Bond online on this list in the 90's, when she was pursuing her PhD
studies on coal burning stoves in
China. Crispin's PM numbers for coal burning stoves sound too good to be
true, so I look forward
to getting the "EPA PM number" some day, for an apples-to-apples comparison
with wood.

--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders