[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 95, Issue 3

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 20:18:51 CDT 2018

Crispin:

EPA NSPS are in g/hr basis, not g/t or kg/t. See
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-03-16/pdf/2015-03733.pdf.

I suppose for Single Burn Rate Heaters, g/hr can be converted to kg/t
assuming kg/hr. See
https://www.hearthandhome.com/news/2016-03-08/single_burn-rate_wood_stoves_new_again.html
.

The target emission rate for new stoves beginning 2020 is 2 g/hr.  The
House passed a bill
<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1917/text> to
extend the date to 2023; the Senate is yet to act, and I doubt it will
become the law this year.

Also, the practical effect is to drive up the cost of forced air furnaces
and hydronic heating systems. See Table 9, p. 13696.

With that kind of cost increase, either the old systems will continue to be
in use (in existing buildings) or people will switch to gas and electric
heating (for new homes).

And that too if states agree to implement the EPA NSPS on the original
schedule.

In short, the whole multi-decadal exercise was a bureaucratic career
project with negligible air quality impacts except in a few counties of the
US.  See Table 6, p. 13694. Annual reduction in PM2.5 emissions from wood
heaters is expected to be measly 34 tons, and that from Single Burn Rate
heaters 684 tons.

Wood is coming under attack in the UK as well. Burning issue: Are
wood-burning stoves going to get the chop?
<https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/may/26/wood-burner-open-fire-pollution-cleaning-up-air-quality>
Guardian
(UK) 26 May 2018

Nikhil