[Stoves] Must reed: Re: [stove] ProPublica article out

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 13 07:33:59 CDT 2018

Xavier,             (Note:  This and many stove messages by Paul
Anderson are placed at the   Posts   section of   www.drtlud.com ).

What you wrote (below) could be correct in many ways.  But I say (like a
broken record, over and over again) that the TLUD micro-gasifier stoves
do already exist and are shown to do the job for clean cooking and to be
acceptable by the people and to be financially favorable (as shown in
the West Bengal area with 40,000 households.)   But without the scale-up
funding for the West Bengal methodology, the progressive expansion to
more houses is quite slow.

The  TLUD success story is regardless or in spite of the WBT issues..

The problem of the non-TLUD stoves is that they really are NOT good
enough to meet the expectations and requirements of the people. Fixing
the testing methods is not going to fix those issues. Better testing
would then become a call for another round of trying to get sticks to
burn, when in fact the TLUD stoves are quite cleanly burning Pyrolytic
BioGas (PBG) (or woodgas or pyro-gas) that the stove makes from the
biomass.

There are a few of us who keep working on the TLUD stoves.   But the
work is not about showing that PBG in a TLUD stove burns cleanly. We
know that it does.   Certainly there can be improvements (such as by the
work of Kirk Harris).  But my TLUD stove efforts now are about scale-up
and finacial support (that can be repaid!!!).

And now the battles are becoming harder because of:
1.  The reporting of the non-success of the regular (non-gasifier) stoves,
2.  Bad publicity for the GACC (being called another failure of
cookstove efforts)
3.  Constant bickering about testing methods
4.  The "glorification" of LPG for cookstoves for impoverished people,
but LPG cannot reach even 50% of the world-wide need.

I am still optimistic that TLUD stoves will eventually get the attention
they deserve, and to be dis-associated from the stick burners.  And then
to receive the support to scale-up level by level in an expanding list
of countries.   Bring on the pellet fuels, and the fan-assisted TLUDs,
and the non-wood (agro-refuse) fuels, and the carbon credit benefits,
and even the possible adoption of TLUD stoves by the promoters of the
failing stick-burners (They are fully welcomed).   For TLUD stoves, the
future is still very bright, but it could be brighter without the
haze/fog/smoke of the non-successful stoves.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com