[Stoves] Household Energy, Biochar, and Conservation Agriculture in Africa

tmiles at trmiles.com tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Jul 15 13:12:55 CDT 2018

The two year lab and field study, “Biochar: Potential for Improving Crop Productivity and Stemming Land Degradation in Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi”, will test biochar from TLUDs and Kon Tiki’s on acidic soils. The objective is to determine if “amending infertile granitic soils in Sothern Africa will increase SOM, soil water holding capacity, nutrient use efficiency, and crop productivity”. Dr. Machado is a Dryland Cropping Systems Agronomist at the Columbia Basin Agricultural Research Center, Oregon State University, Pendleton, Oregon. He is from Zimbabwe and will be collaborating with professors in each of the three countries: Dr. Willis Gwenzi, Soil Scientist, University of Zimbabwe; Dr. H Simfukwe, Mulungushi University, Zambia; Dr. P. C. Nalivata and Dr. J. Chimungu, Soil Chemistry and Fertility, Lilongwe University of Agriculture & Natural Resources. This is an excellent team of agronomists and soil scientists who have experience with improved cooking stoves. I’m sure that you will get to know them in the course of the project.

IBI is exploring ways in which we can support the scaleup of these research and demonstration projects. Biochar from cookstoves and Kon Tiki’s has shown good results at the household and smallholder scale, especially when used in combination with conservation farming. We would like to build on those successes and avoid using biochar where it doesn’t add value to household energy, economy, or well-being.

Tom

Tom Miles

Chair

International Biochar Initiative