[Stoves] FW: [stove and climate] More mind-blowing insights from China

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 22:37:24 CDT 2018

Crispin:

Yes, "If you are going to promote something, promote something that you can
get."

Which, for UC-Berkeley and its HAP affiliates, means research grants to
cook more PhDs and establish a database for emissions, concentration,
exposures and disease for the 50 million or so people who have been killed
by assumption.

Looks like an amazing researchopportunity was missed.

" Coal burning small water heating low pressure boilers were removed and
replaced with gas fired ones, well ahead of the gas arriving in the pipe.
You can guess what happened."

If people died prematurely, a baseline of "death by freezing" could have
been established. Then compared to when gas came and also to those who
continued to use coal. Private gas companies Prof. Smith cites could
collect aDALYs - for just time and per diems - and sell them for subsidies.

Alas.

What is significant about Prof. Smith's discoveries now is the one he
mentions matter-of-fact-ly - " the new air pollution control region for the
northern plain area".

It is only because of the legal designation such as this - presumably based
on air basin modeling over several seasons - that fuel bans and
fuel/combustor substitution policies can be designed with a particular goal
in mind, say hourly and daily, monthly average pollutant concentrations at
particular places.

Without a reference objective - pollutant concentrations averages for
specific locations or regions - fuel bans cannot be said to have
environmental health objectives. (Governments have many reasons to spend
money and give inauguration photo opportunities and research grants.)

Prof Smith may be unnecessarily vexed that the mayor who treated him to
dinner was unaware of HAP damage. Maybe there is little to bother, in the
big scheme of things for a mayor. It's not like Prof. Smith has any
exposure and disease incidence data for the relevant cohorts for any length
of time. Not, at any rate, for the GBD killings.

Prof. Smith gets what he expects; when he inspects real people, he
discovers how ignorant they are.

Now about his text on gas pipeline and LPG: these are my guesses:

a) Usually, gas distribution networks are not developed for new household
connections alone, unless the customers are rich enough. Non-household
demands - and well-paying at that - carry the bulk of amortization costs.
Of course, with money growing on trees, anything is possible.

b) LPG cylinders may not be suitable for the same kind of heaters as
natural gas heaters. I have seen small LPG water heaters in Vanuatu and LPG
space heaters for external use in South Africa and here but not for indoor
use. They are in the market, but perhaps the risk of fire and incomplete
combustion - CO poisoning - is greater with LPG than with piped natural gas
and water/space heaters made to use natural gas.

China has been planning for gas production as well as imports (pipelines,
LNG) for decades. (Conversion of domestic city gas plants or blending was
being discussed way back in 1993/4 when I worked on China GHG strategy
report.  See a recent presentation at
https://eneken.ieej.or.jp/data/7693.pdf. Prof. Smith need not have been
surprised. Rural households are just new additions to piped gas market, and
so far, minuscule at the national level. Looks like cities are covered by
district heating networks and electricity, only recently switching to gas
as more gas is imported. Still, industry, power, and city gas will drive
the gas market growth. HAP is an afterthought as it often the case, if at
all.

No comparability to India rural LPG, but then the heating demand is not
that important.

Nikhil

PS: On Beijing -
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-pollution-beijing/beijings-struggle-against-pollution-will-be-tough-take-time-mayor-idUSKBN1FD0EJ