[Stoves] TLUD stoves and tests

Kirk H. gkharris316 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 24 17:55:10 CDT 2018

Crispin,
Thank you for your response.  There are several points where I think there was some miscommunication between us.
Dear Xavier and Kirk

The TLUD is a type of combustion, not a stove product. There are good ones and bad ones. I have tested more of the latter than the former. Burning from the top down doesn't guarantee great performance.  Some evidence from the field shows acceptance of the TLUD stoves, others show a poor fit with the local culture. Beware over-claiming.
I called it the TLUD type stove.  A TLUD type stove would of course use the TLUD type of combustion.  We agree on this.
I have been working on TLUD type stoves for 5 years, and I agree with you that there can be both good and poorly performing TLUDs.
I did not make any statements about acceptance, so there is no over-claiming here.
For this reason, it would be helpful to mention that there are other types of combustion that are very clean, when properly constructed and operated, matched to suitable fuels. These days, there is no measurable difference in performance between a very good TLUD and a very good crossdraft stove. I am sure there are equally good downdraft stoves. Depending on the application, they each have different strengths.
For what reason?  There were three different topics In the first paragraph.
I agree with you that there are other types of combustion that are clean, each with its own strengths.  This is why wrote “TLUDs are among the most capable types of wood cooking stoves”.  This statement does not exclude other types of stoves.  We agree here.
As for the CSI test, it is in two parts: a protocol for the development of a 'Technical Test', (TT) and a method for conducting a TT and processing the data. Lab manuals documenting this as a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) also include a standardized method for recording, naming and archiving data so it can be checked by an external auditor.
I am looking forward to testing my stoves, cooking vessels, and the interface between (pot stand, pot skirt, pot lid, Wonder-wok (a sunken pot type wok base which exhausts into a chimney which we made at the last Aprovecho stove camp and which won the Cat Pee award)) with this test.
A contextual ‎test naturally uses appropriate pots and fuels. One should not get nor give the impression that it suggests certain or particular pots. Such things are defined by the community of interest.
Xavier said this and I thought it was a good thing.   We agree here.
It is not a Controlled Cooking Test. It is a carefully controlled lab test that replicates a pattern of operating the stove crafted to replicate the average use patterns, or a test sequence crafted to require the stove to cover the whole range of power and pot accommodation required in a community, or to cover a portion of that range. It is rare that a stove can 'do everything' a family needs. Stoves are developed for particular markets and functions.
Sounds good.  We agree here.
In its technically simplest form, it is a pot-swapping test, like the Indian National Standard. More technically sophisticated labs like CAU and Jakarta use a heat exchanger in the pot to control the water temperature while quantifying the heat gained. It is reasonably accurate, typically ±2200 Joules.
Still sounding good.
A major potential is crafted into the protocol which is the inclusion, in future, of the Decombustion Theory that estimates the ultimate analysis of the fuel 'just burned' and it's moisture and energy content. At present there is no other test method which can do this.  ‎The intention is to provide a far more accurate estimate of the energy available from the fuel while it burns inhomogeneously, in real time. This method, when fully implemented, will significantly change the rated thermal performance of solid fuel burning stoves (because they tend not to burn their fuels homogeneously).
OK.  Take your word for it.
‎There is always something new...
I know!  Isn’t it great!  The field of TLUD type stoves was wide open for inventing new things, so I stepped in.  I love it!  We agree yet again!

Kirk H.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Xavier

The primary point I am making is that the TLUD stove is an excellent type of stove.  A well designed TLUD type stove will do well, whatever test it is given.  A lesser performing type stove will accordingly do less well, whatever test it is given.  Dr. Anderson is doing good work in his promotion of this type of stove.

The CSI test can test many different cooking vessels.  This is good!  Is there a lab on the west coast of the USA where I/we can have cooking vessels tested with this test?  This would be a lab with quality equipment and well trained personal, not back yard equipment.

“Both disliked and liked tests” you replaced with “You mean unreliable and reliable”.  No, I meant disliked and liked tests.  Unreliable and reliable are judgmental, and I chose disliked and liked  because they are not judgmental.  I said what I meant.

Very little progress has been made.  I assume that you are not saying that we should give up.

TLUDs are among the most capable types of wood cooking stoves, providing steady heat for whatever cooking vessel is used.  They are deserving of consideration.  Because they do not require continuous attention while in use, they could make a welcome addition for many busy cooks.