[Stoves] TLUD stoves and tests

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 11:14:22 CDT 2018

Crispin:

It is the "continuous burn" combined with higher temperatures that give
coals the capacity to burn cleaner than woods, don't you think?

That is, heating stoves are different from cooking stoves, and carbon
density matters relatively more. Maybe the same reason for raw coal
performing better than coke briquettes; what is the chemical composition
and energy density?

Lab tests are probably more predictable for heating stoves because there is
a basic service standard -- deliver x Heating Degree Days - with some
variation according to local weather conditions and geography.

Still, what matters is not lab tests but contribution to air quality.
Taking out the heating stoves above a certain Heating Degree Days, I wonder
if Ron can provide any citation showing that coal cookstoves contribute
more to deterioration in ambient air quality than biomass cookstoves.
(Partial use for heating is permitted, so long as it's not in extremely
cold areas.)

I don't care what the stove types and ages are. The question is very basic
- in actual practice, has wood contributed more to air quality
deterioration than coal, when it comes to cooking?

There are very few regions I know of where coal is used consistently for
household cooking and competes with wood. The Indian states of Jharkhand
and Bihar may be such - wood in summer, coal in winter, because cooking and
heating are combined.

I am cc'ing Darpan Das here who has written to us before on "smokeless
coal" in India.

I just happen to think coal chemistry is superior to that of wood for
sustained heat.

I also happen to think that this list should cover "Solid Fuel Combustion"
of all types because while coal does have some inherent contaminants to
varying extents - those that end up in ash - it is the overall economics of
all pollutants and their pathways (including ash management) that ought to
be considered because coal does and will continue to compete with wood in
many parts of the world.

Somebody may remember coal versus wood competition in Pennsylvania, Ohio,
and even right here in Virginia. Let me check with the Library of Congress.
(Remember, a hundred odd years ago, a Master's thesis at UIUC did write
that good wood is too valuable to simply burn away for homes!)

I still hope Ron can come up with citations to disprove me.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*