[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 95, Issue 26 top lit updraft burning

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 06:19:33 CDT 2018

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 7:05 PM, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net>
wrote:

> (snip)  So my only question for Norbert is how much added cost there would
> be if your present logs of 150-200 mm diameter also had a similar length
> (maybe 3-4 times as many cuts on a log).  I believe a TLUD design could
> work with such fuel.  To be explored.

Interesting question. It would completely change the handling of the fuel.
You'd have to store it in bins, rather than stacking. Getting a load from
the woodshed and stacking it in the heater would be very different. It
would be an interesting experiment to try, maybe we'll try a load like that
in our lab this winter, just to see how it burns. I'd guess it would need
some kind of basket in the firebox, so that you could get air all around
it. There are, for example, pellet baskets that you can use in a regular
stove or fireplace:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daphne_blue/2957483166

--
Norbert Senf