[Stoves] Air pollution kills

Xavier Brandao xav.brandao at gmail.com
Sun May 6 17:13:05 CDT 2018

Dear Crispin,

Thanks for your answer.

 ”1m premature deaths contributed to by things (in 51 categories) decided by a committee of experts is hardly the same as pointing to a murder weapon that killed an individual.”

Of course, it’s not. The latter is normally pretty easy to do. The former is indeed, a very complex statistical construct.

No one can tell for sure that air pollution is responsible of a specific number like 7 143 568 deaths, or 7 million, it may be difficult to even say “between 6 and 8 millions”.

But I think even before we talk about attribution and statistical construct by the WHO, we need to assess what might be the truth.

Because somewhere, there is a truth.

Let’s take Ulan Bator. There are 1.5 million inhabitants.

If all of them were using electrical heating and cooking, and driving bicycles instead of cars:

·         would we likely see less indoor and outdoor air pollution?

·         would we likely see less cases of respiratory infections like bronchitis, pneumonias, etc.?

·         would the respiratory infections cases likely be less acute?

·         would there likely be less cases of deaths due to a respiratory infection?

·         would the life expectancy of the population likely be higher?

Best,

Xavier