[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 93, Issue 5

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Mon May 7 14:19:04 CDT 2018

(snip)

> ------------------------------
> Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
> (snip)
> The cleaner the air in North America, the more common asthma there is.  Is
> cleaner air contributing to the shortening of lives in North America? On
> the face of it, possibly.
> (snip)

"Yukon's clean air could be why fewer youth are hospitalized with asthma"
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yukon-asthma-hospitalization-cihi-clean-air-1.4639852

"...The report also shows that asthma hospitalization rates tend to
be higher in urban areas in Canada, compared to rural and remote areas.

"Our air is pretty pristine, and air pollution is shown to be a factor
associated with asthma exacerbation," said Brendan Hanley, Yukon's Chief
Medical Officer of Health.

In places such as Nova Scotia and Ontario, asthma hospitalization rates are
much higher in urban centres compared to rural, the report said. A similar
comparison wasn't included for Yukon because of a lack of data.
(snip)

But Hanley said Yukon's air quality is not perfect. He says air pollution
tends to spike in residential areas due to wood-burning, but those tend to
be short-term exposures.

Other possible reason for Yukon's low rate could be attributed to good
access to primary care for children with asthma and good rates of controls
in terms of medication, according to Hanley."

--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders