[Stoves] particulate toxicity discussion

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Fri May 25 15:49:00 CDT 2018

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 3:36 PM, Nikhil Desai <pienergy2008 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Norbert:
>
> I infer the following from your comments and my earlier reading of
> relevant CFR:
>
> 1. Devices may have different PM numbers depending on size, power, and
> location (indoor stove v. outdoor heat-only boiler).

Hi Nikhil:

The categories of regulated wood combustion appliances was restricted to
domestic heating stoves only. Cookstoves, boilers, hot air furnaces,
masonry heaters, and masonry and factory fireplaces and stoves with greater
than 30:1 air:fuel ratio such as pellet stoves were "non-affected
facilities". The original 1992 NSPS was supposed to be reviewed in 5 years.
This did not happen until a couple of years ago (24 years), and the list
was expanded to include pellet stoves, boilers and hot air furnaces. The
emission limit is set in grams per hour. Originally it was 7, now it is
4.5, and it was (until recently) slated to go to 2.5 g/h in 2020, based on
a weighted average of 4 burn rates. This gives the advantage to small
appliances.  Boilers were regulated in lbs/MM BTU, I believe 0.18.

> 2. These New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) were revised in
> accordance with the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) and
> justified on the basis of expected incremental improvement in air quality
> as the stock of older equipment or their use rates declined over time.
> (snip)

Correct. The foundational document is called EPA AP-42 "Compilation of Air
Emissions Factors"
https://www.epa.gov/air-emissions-factors-and-quantification/ap-42-compilation-air-emissions-factors
which quantifies and inventories a wide range of sources including various
types of combustion.

--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders