[Stoves] particulate toxicity discussion

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri May 25 14:36:37 CDT 2018

Norbert:

I infer the following from your comments and my earlier reading of relevant CFR:

1. Devices may have different PM numbers depending on size, power, and location (indoor stove v. outdoor heat-only boiler).

2. These New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) were revised in accordance with the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) and justified on the basis of expected incremental improvement in air quality as the stock of older equipment or their use rates declined over time.

Is that correct?
-------

In my view, there is no basis for the claim that using chimneys or cooking outdoors makes no difference to pollution.

Nor for any alleged improvement in air quality from meeting ISO Tiers this or that in the absence of a showing that expected actual displacement rate will lower concentrations of PM from all sources over an hourly average.

Other conclusions may be arrived at depending on the degree of blind faith.

Nikhil Desai
Skype: nikhildesai888