[Stoves] Spherical Cow Dung Balls for ND-TLUDs in Bangladesh : Dung is very do-able

Anderson, Paul psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 3 08:42:35 CDT 2018

Richard,

I am sending this reply ALSO to the Biochar Listserv for separate discussion there about the nutrient value from the dung.

Your description (below) of washing the dung is quite  interesting:

A.  You mention the nutrients separated for going to the plants.   Nice.   Are they otherwise destroyed or diminished if left in the dung-fuel and burned.   This is a response to the objection that dung should not be burned.

B.  The "solids" can be more suitable for making fuel briquettes.   (Washed-Dung Biomass-Enhanced Briquettes = WDBE fuel, but there certainly can be a better name to distinguish these from those with unwashed dung.)   I can imagine much variation because of what the animals were eating, and the amount of washing.    And the what about appropriate binding?  And depending on what biomass is mixed.

C.  No burning of dung, but putting it directly to the fields.

D.  Burning of "natural" dung (as in India and Bangaldesh and elsewhere currently).

Depending on both A and B above about the washing of dung, what could be the best arrangement, considering labor and  conditions (feedlot dung vs field dung)  and purposes and additional materials?

This is not a simple yes / no situation.

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu<mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>       Skype:   paultlud