[Stoves] ESPs for stove solidfuel PM2.5?

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 05:06:04 CST 2018

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 at 03:46, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> There is no doubt that cooking emissions in the home are a problem for modern structures because of the low air turnover.

Recommended air changes per hour in UK  see to be 7-8 but this is
probably more to do with preventing condensation from cooking,
presumably with a flueless biomass cook stove it would need to be much
higher, with a chimney I would expect it to be similar. Many kitchens
will use a natural gas hob which is essentially flueless but clean
burning.

> Of particular importance are animal oils (fish for example) that are over-heated and evaporated. They will be high in BaP and other PAH’s.

Yes  this will come from partial oxidation, from flame grilling or as
you previously pointed out where fat drips onto coals.

> I was looking at the Kyrgyz Republic indoor air quality measurements from Fresh Air, Netherlands. It is rare to find a home that is below 25 µg/m3 even after installing a good stove.

...but is 25µg/m3 the target we should be aiming for, I realise this
is the level the World Health Organisation say but how practicable is
it given your next paragraph?

> Boots on the floor, smoking and cooking provide almost 100% of the IAP once the stove is taken care of.

This is very much what I see at home, around 5µg/m3 quiescent state
but when I walk into the room I notice a temporary rise to over
10µg/m3, some of this may possibly be from particulates released into
the local atmosphere by *my* chimney as I heat with wood, as well as
background particulates and dust from my working.

> As for the use of electrostatic precipitators and catalytic converters, they have both been promoted recently in Ulaanbaatar at a cost equal to or above the cost of providing a highly advanced new stove. In other words they are willing to spend more money to clean up emissions instead of preventing them in the first place.

Yes I cannot see this being a sensible use of the money, nor fitting
filters like a diesel car has to have now in UK (they have a back
pressure which could not be overcome with natural draught).

> Run properly the PM output is about 0.006 g/kg burned. Run badly it is about 4 or 5 times that: 0.030 g/kg. It is not worth spending hundreds of $ per installation to reduce that further.

This will be coal burning then?

> I see one of the stoves at the competition in DC reached 0.42 with wood.  That’s pretty good.

So is it a sensible target, 0.42g/kg of fuel burned? If we assume
150% excess air (or more as long as it's known) we can relate that to
a particulate concentration in µg/m3 of the stack emissions.

...and yes Nikhil I realise I am being deterministic where you
consider it is meaningless but I still feel targets are needed.

Andrew