[Stoves] ESPs for stove solidfuel PM2.5?

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 10:03:38 CST 2018

Crispin:

Ok, the technical challenge for reducing fuel emissions has been met in
practice, at a small scale.

Now the real challenge in economics and law -- What is the optimal mix of
venting (stove-pipe or, with cookstoves in temperate climates, windows and
doors), emission reductions, and fuel quality control (or fuel processing,
fuel substitution) plus, as necessary, filter masks, to reduce total
exposures?

Mind you, I do not accept the equitoxicity assumption, so toxins and
pathogens not adequately covered by fuel PM2.5 do leave a big gap in our
understanding. (Bacteria from sneezing are probably spreading more disease
than wood smoke; Kirk Smith would know.)

Still, assuming that PM2.5 exposures - not emissions or concentrations, and
not from particular fuel or food in a particular location - are at issue, I
do hold that our (and WHO's) obsession with a fictional "household stove"
and "household fuels" has meant that we only have some generic answer for a
fictional location, not for a specific residence or neighborhood or air
basin.

With heating stoves, you have a good "playground lab" in Ulan Batar or
Kyrgyz, Tajik settlements; your household measurements have greater
applicability for a "standard" ger or a neighborhood/city for particular
meteorological conditions and non-household sources.

However, with cookstoves for household, no such quasi-equivalence is
obtained. Emission reductions from a fuel for a generic household just
cannot be modeled by the BAMG fictional one room or three room, and even
HAPiT requires adjustment for "ambient" air (and non-fuel sources within
the household).

The sooner we dismiss this obsession with a fictional residence using
fictional solid fuel cooking fictional food one cook at a time, the better.

Which means the whole "clean cookstove" enterprise needs a paradigm shift
-- having fuel and technology mix that, when used at scale, achieves
significant improvement in air quality. We don't have the data to generate
credible baselines for any particular region (other than where space and
water heating demands are significant), but the least we can do is revise
our objectives and means. It is not just one miracle stove, but a whole
panoply of tools available for intervention.

The cute thing about LPG and electricity is that once access is provided,
people make their own choices about rearranging tasks, foods, fuels, to
achieve manifestly optimal trade-off of air quality that suits them. We
don't need fancy expert studies.

In short - foods, fuels, filters, and fenestration; in addition to stoves.
What do you think? :-)

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831