[Stoves] Off-topic: Open biomass burning and urban air pollution in India

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 16:08:10 CDT 2018

Crispin:

You need a whipping boy.

The coal-fired power plant in Delhi was a disgrace. Anything like it would
have been shut down from day one. Last time I was passing by, I tried to
see if it even had a baghouse. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badarpur_Thermal_Power_Station#Power_plant.

Delhi buses and autorickshaws switched to Compressed Natural Gas perhaps
ten years ago.  Gas is the fuel of choice, imported or not. Besides, by now
there should be enough transmission lines and, but for the smog, Delhi
rooftop PV and PV farms nearby can easily supply enough peak capacity as
this power plant now shut down.

Another PM challenge is diesel for private power. Power reliability in
Delhi was the worst of any capital city I ever visited, so just about
everybody who could afford it  had a diesel generator and sometimes ran
them on kerosene.

I last looked into Indian coal some ten years ago. Coal India is a
government company and has orders - not contracts - to supply coal to
government-owned power plants and industry. Coal specifications are poor
and poorly adhered to.

I learned my lessons in energy policy from a retired Indian bureaucrat some
32 years ago.  I had earlier been cynical about the Report of the Working
Group on Energy Policy (1979). He schooled me on the historical, political
and legal aspects of energy policy and I accepted that the report was all
that could have been done at the time.  There were major policy reforms
over time, but i) the financing of the sector is a huge mess and can
unsettle the whole Indian financial system, and ii) there is no planning
and oversight capacity of any effect anywhere, regulators with little
insight having taken over whatever oversight there remains.

We did produce polluting punditry of Nobel Laureate R K Pachauri.  I don't
think he was ever asked for a study on reforming India's coal sector,
though.

Nikhil