[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 97, Issue 3

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 15:29:25 CDT 2018

Geoff, it all depends on your definition of "emissions".

In dense urban settings, the focus is often on particulate matter (PM)
emissions. If you only look at PM, even a certified domestic woodstove
("double burner"), is going to have many, many times higher PM emissions
than a modern diesel lorry with a mandatory diesel particulate filter. Or
even without a particulate filter.

We (Masonry Heater Association) have done quite a few stove particulate
measurements over the years. The current EPA limit in the U.S. for
certified stoves is 4.5 grams of PM per hour, going down to 2.5 in a few
years. This is a standardized laboratory measurement, and field trials in
New Zealand have demonstrated that field numbers tend to be about 3X
dirtier.

On pellet stoves, we've measured an average of around 1 gram PM per kilo of
dry fuel, which also seem to be the lower limit. For cordwood in domestic
masonry heaters (high mass heat storing appliance with a fixed, optimized,
burn rate) the lower limit seems to be around 0.5 g/kg PM.

The g/h and g/kg units are equal when the burn rate is 1 kg/h, which is the
average burn rate in the US for domestic stoves.

Norbert

--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders